Stupid Question: How to effectively clean interior windows?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wipe mine down with a damp chamois. Well, it's not a real chamois, it's one of those "Absorber" brand synthetic chamois. EZ.

Stonebx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,

I feel idiotic for having to ask this, but how do you all effectively clean your interior windows? Specifically the windshield?

In times gone by, I have used Windex and newspapers quite effectively in other vehicles. Nice clean windshield, no streaks, no residue.

On my 2013 Escalade ESV (and my wife's 2008 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ), I cannot get the windshield clean to save my life!
The front door windows are tinted, so I don't use ammonia based cleaners. I had tried Invisible Glass, but it kept leaving residue that would show up on chilly mornings. IE fog the windshield, if that makes sense. Or, in direct sunlight, you can see a residue.

Searching on the internet, I found suggestions to use isopropyl alcohol to clean the windshield first, then Invisible Glass. That sorta worked better. Procedure was to spray alcohol on a microfiber rag, then clean part of the windshield. Do it again with a different side of the rag. Then do the same with the Invisible Glass.
I still had streaks and or residue.

Sooooo...thinking about it(which appears to be dangerous for me), I decided that I wasn't using enough of either. Meaning the rag was too dry. So, I drowned the rag in alcohol. Dried the windshield with a new microfiber cloth. Then drowned a rag in Invisible glass. Then dried the windshield with a new microfiber cloth.
And that left awful streaks and residue.

Please offer me advice so I can effectively clean the interior windows of my Escalade!

Thanks
I had a similar issue with my Denali. The first thing I normally do if it's dirty or has some type of film is use paper towel with alcohol. Then I use a 2 new microfiber rags, one slightly damp with water and wipe down the glass and while it's still wet go over it with the 2nd new dry rag. I find that water and a good microfiber rag works perfectly on all glass. Hope that helps!

ejf2461

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,

I feel idiotic for having to ask this, but how do you all effectively clean your interior windows? Specifically the windshield?

In times gone by, I have used Windex and newspapers quite effectively in other vehicles. Nice clean windshield, no streaks, no residue.

On my 2013 Escalade ESV (and my wife's 2008 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ), I cannot get the windshield clean to save my life!
The front door windows are tinted, so I don't use ammonia based cleaners. I had tried Invisible Glass, but it kept leaving residue that would show up on chilly mornings. IE fog the windshield, if that makes sense. Or, in direct sunlight, you can see a residue.

Searching on the internet, I found suggestions to use isopropyl alcohol to clean the windshield first, then Invisible Glass. That sorta worked better. Procedure was to spray alcohol on a microfiber rag, then clean part of the windshield. Do it again with a different side of the rag. Then do the same with the Invisible Glass.
I still had streaks and or residue.

Sooooo...thinking about it(which appears to be dangerous for me), I decided that I wasn't using enough of either. Meaning the rag was too dry. So, I drowned the rag in alcohol. Dried the windshield with a new microfiber cloth. Then drowned a rag in Invisible glass. Then dried the windshield with a new microfiber cloth.
And that left awful streaks and residue.

Please offer me advice so I can effectively clean the interior windows of my Escalade!

Thanks
I have a police tahoe and OCD so I clean my interior windows alot. Start with a perfectly clean unused terry cloth towel and wipe in 1 direction top to bottom then stop and fold the terry cloth towel to a new unused portion and repeat next to that area and keep repeating until you got the entire window wiped off. Then get dry eraser and do the same process. if its really bad inside goto harbor freight and buy a razor blade extention with a long handle. Lubricate the window with water only and scrape the entire window. This works on inside and outside. Dont do this on tinted window. Glass plus works better than windex does. You have to keep up on the windows inside because oils and dirty air build up and when you wash them you jub rub that junk into the window. Hope this helps!

golfn18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use a combination of white vinegar, water and a drop or two of Dawn. I spray it on a microfiber towel (not the windshield) and then wipe it with a different towel. Works great for me

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found the best cleaner for any glass, car or home, is a Norwex microfiber cleaning towel and water. The dry with a Norwex Window Cloth. The best cleaner inside and out. Even a buggy windshield! My wife put me on to these. I didn’t believe her until I tried them. Best darn cleaner I have ever found. I keep them in the car when we travel, I don’t use Windex or any other cleaner, just water. Works best when you dry the wet glass with the Norwex Window Cloth. The Norwex cleaning cloth, when wet scrubs the dirt/grime and bugs right off. I have no affiliation with Norwex other than purchasing them.
I wonder how a Magic Eraser or other type of knockoff magic eraser-type thing would work on a really filthy windshield. Would it be too abrasive and scratch or scuff the glass?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find if I kneel facing backwards, reach back between my legs and use an old not new microfiber cloth I can get it really really clean, at least from what I can see at that point which is all that really matters because after that ordeal, I tend to look through the glass, not so much AT the glass like some of you obviously do. But I used to work in the flat glass industry and I’ve dealt with every nut job you can think of that stands with their face 6 inches from their window in their 2 million dollar McMansion and points to a tiny tiny microscopic flaw inside an insulated glass unit and can’t understand why it’s not covered under warranty. So I look through the glass. Even perfectly clean, you can find plenty of other defects if you look close enough. If you’re looking at a windshield in a modern car, you’re talking 2 layers of glass and a layer of plastic in the middle. That’s 6 surfaces in that glass sandwich and any of those can have flaws, and if you look at it from far enough to the side you’ll start seeing more. So don’t. I actually use Spray Away, best glass cleaner out there imo and used by glass professionals.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find if I kneel facing backwards, reach back between my legs and use an old not new microfiber cloth I can get it really really clean, at least from what I can see at that point which is all that really matters because after that ordeal, I tend to look through the glass, not so much AT the glass like some of you obviously do. But I used to work in the flat glass industry and I’ve dealt with every nut job you can think of that stands with their face 6 inches from their window in their 2 million dollar McMansion and points to a tiny tiny microscopic flaw inside an insulated glass unit and can’t understand why it’s not covered under warranty. So I look through the glass. Even perfectly clean, you can find plenty of other defects if you look close enough. If you’re looking at a windshield in a modern car, you’re talking 2 layers of glass and a layer of plastic in the middle. That’s 6 surfaces in that glass sandwich and any of those can have flaws, and if you look at it from far enough to the side you’ll start seeing more. So don’t. I actually use Spray Away, best glass cleaner out there imo and used by glass professionals.

Do you put your knees on the steering wheel, or on the dashboard?

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a cleaning wand and terry cloth covers. I cleaned the inside of the windshield and front door windows with a couple of sprays of vinegar on the covers, then wiped the glass. Followed up by wiping the glass with a fresh dry cover.
I cleaned the outside of the front door windows and door mirrors with windex and glass cleaning towels.

We shall see...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts