Stupid high prices on Eskys' and Denali's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
avalonandl

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That isn't a bad price. It's a 2012 with not too high miles, 122,000+ It looked in good condition.

If you can do the work yourself......

Engine knock- Anywhere from $ 1000-4000
Driveline locked up- New trans $ 2500 or Transfer case $ 1500
Flatbed to tow- $300
Miscellaneous - AAir compressor etc $ 1000.
Auction Fees- 1200

So you are in for About 18-20k

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I very highly doubt the truck needs an engine, transmission, and a transfer case. Other than being rusty because it’s from up north the truck presents very well in the pictures, someone took care of it at some point. It probably has one major thing wrong with the powertrain causing all of their description. They are an auction, they sell cars not diagnose and fix cars so they don’t really know what’s wrong with it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can do the work yourself......

Engine knock- Anywhere from $ 1000-4000
Driveline locked up- New trans $ 2500 or Transfer case $ 1500
Flatbed to tow- $300
Miscellaneous - AAir compressor etc $ 1000.
Auction Fees- 1200

So you are in for About 18-20k

Too much money for all that work and risk. They gotta be the ones that take the beating, not the buyer!

Edit, just saw link and truck, probably AFM repair needed. Still, too much money, at least around here you can buy them running good for that price or thereabouts.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really see anything out of the ordinary, other than a reflection of the increasing costs of the new trucks. Granted it's a Sierra Denali, not an SUV, but I bought my '09 in 2015 with 70k miles on it for $23k.

Considering that new Denali SUVs can be optioned with prices in the $70k and $80k range, again I see nothing out of the ordinary. Hell, a new Escalade SUV tops out in the low to mid $90s.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The values on these trucks have indeed been holding somewhat steady recently. The used car market has and is changing drastically. With new vehicles being so expensive, people are leasing more and keeping what they have longer. People generally don’t take the best care of leases because they know they’ll never see it again once the lease ends. It used to be pretty easy to find a good used car but that isn’t so much the case any more. Plus, with more and more states charging tax on used cars purchased from individuals that takes away the incentive to buy and sell privately.

Me personally, I also believe the quality of cars (from all manufacturers) is declining and that gives me even more reason to put more money into what I have even if it “isn’t worth it.” It’s still cheaper than a new one.

OP
OP
avalonandl

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without having looked at the vehicle but reading it will not move and makes a grinding sound i have to beieve a main trans shaft is lunched....or broken transfer case....

engine knock, maybe just afm but to do it right (imho) you should pull the engine.

OP
OP
avalonandl

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember everybody- this was a 2012 AWD Escalade with a locked up driveline that had GRINDING Sounds....and an engine tick/knock.

I was expecting this thing to go for 9k.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts