Used prices and "the recall"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJKNIGHT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It took me a few months to find a good deal. I bought a 2015 Tahoe LTZ in 11/2020 for 28k. Only thing is it had 104k miles on it but it’s in excellent condition. Really have to look around and be open to drive far to get one. I drove 5 hours to get that one.

AMEN, Look around, you can find a good deal.
May need a little maintenance but dang man, they drive so good!
JJ

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
And I’m not convinced that the recall availability doesn’t have a local component. I had some work done on my 2010 Sub 2500 to try to eliminate the memory mirror issues with the replacement towing mirrors and when I picked it up they let me know they had done the airbag recall since it was in and they had time.

The other factor that could be involved with “low mileage” vehicles going back to the auction could be the increase in odometer alterations. If they suspected the odometer could have been falsified its would save them money to let it go than risk selling it and getting sued later (both for the payout & the bad PR).

Jeff O

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My '03 Tahoe sticker price = $43K. Today same options = $65K. To be remembered for comparison is most today are super loaded with max electronics not available back then, so typical is even more than my basic. I see Suburbans at $90K+. These are desirable vehicles to many, and one in good shape is a premium price. Basic law of supply and demand. Who the hell would want a Durango anyway?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but even then, $10K more can get you in a 2020 Durango R/T with a Hemi and 20K miles. $28K is strong for a 9 year old Tahoe LT with few options.
Not a chance a Durango or Nissan or Jeep can compare to these. Those aren’t even close to fullsize SUVs.

but like the others have said, new suv prices being so high and the delay of the new rigs equals our used ones keeping their values. My 13 LTZ has just 48k on it but I’m not even considering selling lol

Sobro

Reaction score
I bought my 2012 Denali end of February. 124k miles and the sales price was $16,500. It has some scratches and a fender scrape. Two things... if you're looking at vehicles with much lower than the average 15k miles per year they will be snatched up quickly. Also, with the prices going up and up how can you assume that the trucks were sent back to auction due to the recall when another explanation is that they could make a hefty profit just by sending them back to auction, thus clearing out lot space and not having to make floorplan (loan to car dealers) payments on them.

jasonb100272

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So what is up with the insane prices for used triplets from this era? $28K for a 2012 Tahoe LT with 50K miles? Holy %$#@! There are others equally high. I can get a used 2020 Nissan Armada with 34k miles (yeah, I know it's a Nissan) for $31K! Also, I have inquired about 3 other vehicles (2 Escalades and a Yukon) with low miles that have mysteriously disappeared from dealer lots. On all three I was told they were returning to the auto auction. Surprising given the crazy prices out there. Or are the dealers (these were GM) afraid to sell these with a safety recall and no parts?

Greg
From what I have been told from several friends that own or manage dealerships there truly is a vehicle shortage. Some dealerships are taking there trades to auctions because prices are high. Hence quick profit vrs paying intrest on inventories sitting on there lots. I was told about a week ago it will be at least a yr before new car inventories will rebound. Then used inventories will follow. Unless you need one for your business or replacing one because of its beyond repair . Sit tight. If it was a matter of 2-3 grand extra I would say ok pick out what you want but since market is dictating $5-10 grand over a yr ago markets . Im holding on to my dinosaur. I hope this made sense.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
COVID supply and demand. New car inventory is down so people are buying used who normally wouldn’t. People were already keeping their good used vehicles longer and longer because prices for new stuff keeps going up.

MN-TAHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought a 99 Tahoe 2dr with 90K for 20K. I was searching exclusively for a 2dr as I had had one b/4. This vehicle had sat in CA for 20+ yrs. Had it shipped to MN & was going to introduce it to snow but we have not had much of a winter this yr. I have been very happy considering there is not one bit of even surface rust whether on the frame or the body. It has the trailer towing package but the stock wiring harness has never been used! If you can find one in this condition BUY IT because it is a great vehicle. This is why they are commanding the price. Great 4X4's with excellent road abilities & save 30K vrs a new vehicle.

stevedonato

Reaction score
So what is up with the insane prices for used triplets from this era? $28K for a 2012 Tahoe LT with 50K miles? Holy %$#@! There are others equally high. I can get a used 2020 Nissan Armada with 34k miles (yeah, I know it's a Nissan) for $31K! Also, I have inquired about 3 other vehicles (2 Escalades and a Yukon) with low miles that have mysteriously disappeared from dealer lots. On all three I was told they were returning to the auto auction. Surprising given the crazy prices out there. Or are the dealers (these were GM) afraid to sell these with a safety recall and no parts?

Greg
Try using www.carcomplaints.com to find the right year to buy. They list All manufactures, all models and all years of complaints, recalls and bulletins

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989