1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used prices and "the recall"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vcode, Mar 1, 2021.

1. JJKNIGHT

JJKNIGHT TYF Newbie

Name:
    JJ
    AMEN, Look around, you can find a good deal.
    May need a little maintenance but dang man, they drive so good!
    JJ

wsteele and Sparksalot like this.
  2. EvergreenZ71

EvergreenZ71 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    And I’m not convinced that the recall availability doesn’t have a local component. I had some work done on my 2010 Sub 2500 to try to eliminate the memory mirror issues with the replacement towing mirrors and when I picked it up they let me know they had done the airbag recall since it was in and they had time.

The other factor that could be involved with “low mileage” vehicles going back to the auction could be the increase in odometer alterations. If they suspected the odometer could have been falsified its would save them money to let it go than risk selling it and getting sued later (both for the payout & the bad PR).

3. Jeff O

Jeff O TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    My '03 Tahoe sticker price = $43K. Today same options = $65K. To be remembered for comparison is most today are super loaded with max electronics not available back then, so typical is even more than my basic. I see Suburbans at $90K+. These are desirable vehicles to many, and one in good shape is a premium price. Basic law of supply and demand. Who the hell would want a Durango anyway?

wjburken and wsteele like this.
  4. 07Burb

07Burb GM fan for life Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Name:
    Jacob
    Not a chance a Durango or Nissan or Jeep can compare to these. Those aren’t even close to fullsize SUVs.

but like the others have said, new suv prices being so high and the delay of the new rigs equals our used ones keeping their values. My 13 LTZ has just 48k on it but I’m not even considering selling lol

Miami-Dade and wsteele like this.
  5. Sobro

Sobro TYF Newbie

Name:
    Sobro
    I bought my 2012 Denali end of February. 124k miles and the sales price was $16,500. It has some scratches and a fender scrape. Two things... if you're looking at vehicles with much lower than the average 15k miles per year they will be snatched up quickly. Also, with the prices going up and up how can you assume that the trucks were sent back to auction due to the recall when another explanation is that they could make a hefty profit just by sending them back to auction, thus clearing out lot space and not having to make floorplan (loan to car dealers) payments on them.

Cusomano likes this.
  6. jasonb100272

jasonb100272 TYF Newbie

Name:
    jason
    From what I have been told from several friends that own or manage dealerships there truly is a vehicle shortage. Some dealerships are taking there trades to auctions because prices are high. Hence quick profit vrs paying intrest on inventories sitting on there lots. I was told about a week ago it will be at least a yr before new car inventories will rebound. Then used inventories will follow. Unless you need one for your business or replacing one because of its beyond repair . Sit tight. If it was a matter of 2-3 grand extra I would say ok pick out what you want but since market is dictating $5-10 grand over a yr ago markets . Im holding on to my dinosaur. I hope this made sense.

Linderov, Miami-Dade and Sparksalot like this.
  7. 91RS

91RS Full Access Member

Name:
    D
    COVID supply and demand. New car inventory is down so people are buying used who normally wouldn’t. People were already keeping their good used vehicles longer and longer because prices for new stuff keeps going up.

8. MN-TAHOE

MN-TAHOE TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Bought a 99 Tahoe 2dr with 90K for 20K. I was searching exclusively for a 2dr as I had had one b/4. This vehicle had sat in CA for 20+ yrs. Had it shipped to MN & was going to introduce it to snow but we have not had much of a winter this yr. I have been very happy considering there is not one bit of even surface rust whether on the frame or the body. It has the trailer towing package but the stock wiring harness has never been used! If you can find one in this condition BUY IT because it is a great vehicle. This is why they are commanding the price. Great 4X4's with excellent road abilities & save 30K vrs a new vehicle.

Cusomano, wsteele, Miami-Dade and 2 others like this.
  9. Summajet

Summajet Full Access Member

Name:
    Garland
    Try finding a 4-door chevy silverado 4x4 for under 12,000 with 180,000 miles. Same truck i saw last year was 6,500

TILA, Linderov, wsteele and 2 others like this.
  10. stevedonato

stevedonato TYF Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Try using www.carcomplaints.com to find the right year to buy. They list All manufactures, all models and all years of complaints, recalls and bulletins