Stuck far from home. Battery light came on, now Los of power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shtiv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, for frm home and has better light came on, and alternator voltage gauge dropped to 11. At Oreillys, they say everything looks good. But can’t start car as if battery is dead, i jump car car and it starts, but no lights and nothing works. Car drives but with a loss of power. Any ideas? I need to get home. Thank you!

OP
OP
Shtiv

Shtiv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, for frm home and has better light came on, and alternator voltage gauge dropped to 11. At Oreillys, they say everything looks good. But can’t start car as if battery is dead, i jump car car and it starts, but no lights and nothing works. Car drives but with a loss of power. Any ideas? I need to get home. Thank you!
Everything is good when i jump car, but once i remove portable jumper all gauges on dash go to zero and very few things work in car And car runs like crap.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sure sounds like a bad alternator.... so at O'Reilly's they checked and said your alternator was charging???

Something's off there... you should be able to run off the alternator even if the battery is bad or missing.

OP
OP
Shtiv

Shtiv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sure sounds like a bad alternator.... so at O'Reilly's they checked and said your alternator was charging???

Something's off there... you should be able to run off the alternator even if the battery is bad or missing.
Thank you! We’re checking it again. I’ll hero forum updated with what we find.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! We’re checking it again. I’ll hero forum updated with what we find.
Definitely alternator. If the meter shows the alternator is charging. Then you need to test at the battery to make sure you’re getting the same voltage output that the alternator is giving off. If it’s not the same then you may have a broken or loose power/ground wire somewhere

OP
OP
Shtiv

Shtiv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NASCAR got nothing on you. :)
Nothing like your alternator going out when you are driving through wheat fields in the middle of NOWHERE . Luckily i was able to get to an Oreillys where i then got stranded but they had ONE alternator and it happened to be the exact one i needed and the brand i wanted.