Stubborn Harmonic Balancer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, it is M16 x 2.0 pitch. In looking at the original bolt, the last inch is the only portion discolored, is that all that is actually threaded into the crank?

I went to our local farm implement store and found a 4.5 inch M16 x 2.0 to use to try and use for removal rather than grind down the hardened original like the guy did in the video. We'll see how this goes.
New Removal Bolt.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark for the video!

I tried to look up the bolt specs but could find them, I know it's a 2.0 pitch but not diameter. Would rather find one with regular head so I don't have to grind off so much of the hardened flange of the old one.

I watched the video, make me nervous as !@#$ using an air impact with only screwing the bolt into the crank halfway! Maybe i am being a nervous Nelly but I would feel a lot better seating the extraction bolt further into the crank.
That’s not actually the extraction bolt though- it’s what you’re pushing against. The extraction bolt is threaded in the puller. You can screw the old pulley bolt that you ground the head off of all the way in if you want, as long as it’s still long enough to push against with the puller tool bolt. Add a spacer if needed I guess. The reason for grinding the flange off the old bolt is so it fits through the puller and doesn’t catch. I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut that flange off the old bolt in seconds. Once you’ve done that, you can keep that bolt to use if you ever need to pull another balancer. I have done 3 balancer removals this way, it works awesome. So simple too.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - I used the bolt I bought at the farm implement store screwed it into the crank end 7 rotations used the puller against it with my 1/2 air impact and after hitting it for 2-3 minutes and then hitting it again for 2-3 minutes with the impact, the third time was a charm, it started moving and got her off.

Thanks much for the input, I was leery of using the impact on it until you all educated me!

Have a great 4th weekend!
Tim

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update - I used the bolt I bought at the farm implement store screwed it into the crank end 7 rotations used the puller against it with my 1/2 air impact and after hitting it for 2-3 minutes and then hitting it again for 2-3 minutes with the impact, the third time was a charm, it started moving and got her off.

Thanks much for the input, I was leery of using the impact on it until you all educated me!

Tim
Awesome news!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tim
This Forum ROCKS!!

Isn't it GREAT to have a Forum that is actually useful, and actually helps folks get sh** done!

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a recipient more times than a contributor, absolutely! The folks on this forum are always willing to help. This is my go to always if I am stumped on something. However, I also use it not only for education but for entertainment as well as I enjoy reading what others are doing to their rigs.

I have gotten so much help on here, yesterday I signed up for being a supporting member - it was the least I could do for all I have received!

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667