Stubborn Harmonic Balancer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick question, is there a specific pulley installer you guys would recommend? After some research, I was thinking this would work?

If there is another you guys have used which is better let me know.
Thanks,
Tim
That's very similar to the one I have and it works fine, except I don't have the ball bearing. I suspect it will get trashed the first time you use it, but se la vie. You can always sub in a hardened washer later for the next time you use it if needed.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick question, is there a specific pulley installer you guys would recommend? After some research, I was thinking this would work?

Thanks,
Tim
For the harmonic balancer? You don’t need one, the harmonic balancer bolt does it. Keep in mind if you use an OEM one you need to use the old one to pull it in with and a new one to torque. I highly recommend an ARP bolt. You don’t need to follow the difficult torque steps the OEM one uses or the old bolt and it’s reusable.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the harmonic balancer? You don’t need one, the harmonic balancer bolt does it. Keep in mind if you use an OEM one you need to use the old one to pull it in with and a new one to torque. I highly recommend an ARP bolt. You don’t need to follow the difficult torque steps the OEM one uses or the old bolt and it’s reusable.
When I installed mine, I could only get a few threads to catch before the bolt shoulder hit the balancer. I was worried that the force would strip them out. It might be a case of 'you might get lucky or you might not.' Since the installation tool is so cheap, I figured why not since the manual called for using the tool.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score

Thanks,
Tim

I use that same one to install, the little ball bearings like to come out, so I keep them greased to retain them.

I have never seen anyone use that to remove it, it should be a straight pull on some cast puller locations on the stock pully.

See above for the puller I use.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I now remember I do use a long piece of allthread to start the balancer install, for the first 3/4” or so, then remove it and use the regular bolt. Not sure where I got it. Here’s my setup minus the Chrysler puller (OEM tools 27139, available at most parts store loan-a-tool). OEM bolt at the top, modified bolt for the puller to press against in the middle, install bolt at the bottom. The last balancer I did took 10 minutes off and on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the balancer off. I was researching install tools to put it back on. I went ahead and ordered the one from Amazon I pasted the URL for. Seems the commonality is all of them have a long all threaded bolt, some use a bearing some don't and some have a head which to put a wrench on I suppose to assist in removal.

I decided to try the one with the bearings figured it would hurt and hopefully help the process. I see in the thread above -Just Fishing- had some issue with the bearings falling out. I'll keep an eye on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts