Strike??? Thoughts, insights, predictions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stellantis biggest assembly plant just walked out. add 6800 people to the list. Sterling Heights is down
(Ram truck)

ktpinnacle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whether it's legitimate reason or not, higher labor costs will be used as a justification for raising what are already excessively high MSRPs for these rigs.

OP
OP
tjs3922

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is the beginning of the end of the strike. The Arlington plant is meant to hurt GM. It is now who can wait the longest.

I would think the UAW will have their best offer this week or already have it. Strikes are about leverage and who can take the most pain. I believe the leverage has shifted to the Big 3. I also think that UPS contract was an outlier not the new labor normal. I believe that the UAW anticipated a fairly quick resolution and that has now passed.

I think the Big 3 could easily hold on til early next year. Not sure about these striking workers. I have also heard rumblings that the "strike fund" has been grossly exaggerated. Will be an interesting next few weeks.

Could be a painful year end/ Holiday season for many workers and I do not see any joy in that.

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
Whether it's legitimate reason or not, higher labor costs will be used as a justification for raising what are already excessively high MSRPs for these rigs.
Exactly, just like raising minimum wage and who pays for it the consumer does that's who. The price of vehicles will go up a few grand to pay for the labor costs.

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now that the UAW has taken out the Ford truck plant, RAM truck plant, and the ultra-profitable GM truck/SUV plant, this whole story has reached a very climactic point.

I have a 2024 Yukon XL Denali on order as of last week with an "accepted" status, so am obviously directly affected and a little concerned about timeline as well morale of the guys who will eventually be assembling my new toy based on whatever agreement ends up being made.

But what annoys me the most, is why no one is saying that this new strike today has "Escaladed" the situation.

Last edited:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't justify higher costs if you are profitable. You can justify it if you say we need to make X amount of profit % per year.

But currently they are making record profits with no benefit to the labor helping make that possible. So a increase of 30% higher pay won't magically make their record profits disappear. It will just be less record profit but profit nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman