Strange headlight power-off issue… 2019 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buckfutter

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I put new LED headlights in the family rig - they don’t have a decoder or anything like that and they work great all the time.

At night when I shut off the vehicle, the headlights immediately turn off… but when you open the door to get out, they come back on and stay on for however long they’re supposed to in the vehicle settings…

No other GM vehicle I’ve had does this, even my neighbors 2018 Yukon with the same LED’s doesn’t. It’s not a big deal for me but more so for my wife. I like knowing the lights will stay on if she’s parked in a parking lot etc…

I tried looking in the settings and can’t find anything.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can get a video of it if needed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I put new LED headlights in the family rig - they don’t have a decoder or anything like that and they work great all the time.

At night when I shut off the vehicle, the headlights immediately turn off… but when you open the door to get out, they come back on and stay on for however long they’re supposed to in the vehicle settings…

No other GM vehicle I’ve had does this, even my neighbors 2018 Yukon with the same LED’s doesn’t. It’s not a big deal for me but more so for my wife. I like knowing the lights will stay on if she’s parked in a parking lot etc…

I tried looking in the settings and can’t find anything.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can get a video of it if needed.
can you clarify the problem? and what you want it to do versus what it is doing?
your post is a little confusing or perhaps a little indirect, I am part idiot so maybe it's that....

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to check both of our k2's to determine what ours normally do at night when you turn the key off only, I have HID's in both and the settings may be different on both and both have a different trim level so....
I haven't paid that much attention to it myself.

one thing you could try is put a regular bulb back in one headlight and see if the one headlight does something different, if so it could be a voltage thing a LED and incandescent can behave differently depending on the voltage, some led's will shut off at a certain voltage and some will dim

OP
OP
B

Buckfutter

Reaction score
I would have to check both of our k2's to determine what ours normally do at night when you turn the key off only, I have HID's in both and the settings may be different on both and both have a different trim level so....
I haven't paid that much attention to it myself.

one thing you could try is put a regular bulb back in one headlight and see if the one headlight does something different, if so it could be a voltage thing a LED and incandescent can behave differently depending on the voltage, some led's will shut off at a certain voltage and some will dim
Interesting, I haven’t thought about this that’s a good idea.

OP
OP
B

Buckfutter

Reaction score
can you clarify the problem? and what you want it to do versus what it is doing?
your post is a little confusing or perhaps a little indirect, I am part idiot so maybe it's that....
Well every GM car I’ve had, when you shut the car off at night the lights stay on for 10-30 seconds (whatever the setting is that you choose) and they don’t shut off as soon as you kill the motor.

vf1000ride

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2020 yukon xl denali and this seems to be how mine work. Kill the motor and headlights turn off, open door and they come back on. Did this with both the HID bulbs and LED bulbs. I wasn't sure if that "feature" would damage the HID ballasts/bulbs so I got into the habit of opening my drivers door before shutting off the engine so they would stay on the entire time. Now that I swapped them to LED I'm not as concerned but it still acts the same.

k_arnold72

Reaction score
I think there's a setting for this. From the main menu:

- Settings
- Vehicle
- Lighting
- Exit Lighting

OP
OP
B

Buckfutter

Reaction score
I have a 2020 yukon xl denali and this seems to be how mine work. Kill the motor and headlights turn off, open door and they come back on. Did this with both the HID bulbs and LED bulbs. I wasn't sure if that "feature" would damage the HID ballasts/bulbs so I got into the habit of opening my drivers door before shutting off the engine so they would stay on the entire time. Now that I swapped them to LED I'm not as concerned but it still acts the same.
Thanks for the reply, so I’m not crazy! My car isn’t the only one! I will try messing with the exit lighting. Such a weird thing to do, turn off then turn on again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts