Strange electrical/ power issue, clock resetting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday when I left work, I started my 2001 Tahoe and the Factory head unit had reset. The clock said 1:00 and the CD player had lost it's spot. I thought maybe something drained the battery enough to reset it, but it still started ok.

This morning, I left for work and the clock was ok, then I stopped for gas and when I came out of the store, the radio was again at 1:00 and the CD player had lost it's position.

The battery and alternator are both less than 1 year old.

Could this be the radio itself?

I'm not sure where else to check, or what it could be. I had assumed that if power were lost, that it would reset to 12:00, but I was only in the store a couple minutes.
Which is also weird. It wasn't 1:05, as if it lost time and started tracking again. Both times it was 1:00 as if the power just came back on.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
This has also happened to my 03 a few times, radio presets and clock are gone. I've yet to figure it out.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has also happened to my 03 a few times, radio presets and clock are gone. I've yet to figure it out.

I found a handful of threads claiming similar issues, but they all say their clock resets to 12:00. I don't know if there is significance to mine changing to 1:00. Does your go to 12:00?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I found a handful of threads claiming similar issues, but they all say their clock resets to 12:00. I don't know if there is significance to mine changing to 1:00. Does your go to 12:00?
It does, but I have a dd.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be a bad ground? I’m with you on the clock reset being weird. A bad ground won’t drain your battery but it will cause weird stuff to happen. Try this. Disconnect your negative for a few minutes then go back in and see if the clock says 1:00.

Grind

Reaction score
^This.

Back when I had a British car, notorious for electrical problems, most things could be traced back to a bad ground.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I turned the key on and the clock was correct. Once I hit the starter, the clock switched to 1:00.

At least now I know it's not because the battery is draining while it's off.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
This morning I turned the key on and the clock was correct. Once I hit the starter, the clock switched to 1:00.

At least now I know it's not because the battery is draining while it's off.
Is your battery weak? Sounds like hitting the starter caused too large of a draw/load on it, causing your click mishap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts