still more questions regarding my rear end drop... help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
would repositioning the trailing arm help do anything for this?...

i just wanted to get a feel for everyone opinion and since i occasionally drive my 15 month old son around in this truck i want to make sure he is always safe

I am having a tough time finding JUST the rear drop shocks, everything i have found is complete kits... anyone know where to buy just the two rear drop shocks?

Grunions carries McGaughy's drop shocks(the ones they suggest you use with a 5'' drop).

http://grunionfabrication.com/

They are a great shop up on like Cave Creek and T-bird-ish

Then there is Street Beat, they are right around the corner form my house 7th ave and 1-10

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/

My McGaughy's kit came with trailing arm relocators......

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grunions carries McGaughy's drop shocks(the ones they suggest you use with a 5'' drop).

http://grunionfabrication.com/

They are a great shop up on like Cave Creek and T-bird-ish

Then there is Street Beat, they are right around the corner form my house 7th ave and 1-10

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/

My McGaughy's kit came with trailing arm relocators......

I guess we all have different experiences but my McGaughy's drop shocks started giving out at 4 months roughly. When I took them off the compression was kinda spongy on one and was inconsistent in how it reacted to pressure. I started rubbing the rear wheels and decided that was it, time to replace them.

B

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
I guess we all have different experiences but my McGaughy's drop shocks started giving out at 4 months roughly. When I took them off the compression was kinda spongy on one and was inconsistent in how it reacted to pressure. I started rubbing the rear wheels and decided that was it, time to replace them.

B

I haven't had any issues....... so far:doh2:

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is worried that it will bottom out then pop back up and lose the rear coil completely...

Is he saying your shocks are stock length and therefore don't have enough travel? Even then I'm having a hard time understanding what he's saying..maybe I'm just tired so keep me honest here guys ....if ur shocks are sitting more compressed than normal because of the shorter springs, doesn't that mean there is more travel needed to fully extend the shock - thereby decreasing the chances of losing a spring?

B

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
Is he saying your shocks are stock length and therefore don't have enough travel? Even then I'm having a hard time understanding what he's saying..maybe I'm just tired so keep me honest here guys ....if ur shocks are sitting more compressed than normal because of the shorter springs, doesn't that mean there is more travel needed to fully extend the shock - thereby decreasing the chances of losing a spring?

B
I think what it is is if you are running stock shocks, yes they are more compressed but if you extend them all the way up on a bump or drop they will drop the axle down enough to let a spring out since they are so long. So basically the top range of the shock is higher than the top range of the spring so if the shock is all the way extended and the axle is at it's bottom range the space created could allow a 3'' spring to come out..... in theory. Essentially if you jumped and your rear wheels were off the ground your springs could come out.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what it is is if you are running stock shocks, yes they are more compressed but if you extend them all the way up on a bump or drop they will drop the axle down enough to let a spring out since they are so long. So basically the top range of the shock is higher than the top range of the spring so if the shock is all the way extended and the axle is at it's bottom range the space created could allow a 3'' spring to come out..... in theory. Essentially if you jumped and your rear wheels were off the ground your springs could come out.

I'll buy that for a dollar :waytogo:

B *going to have a drink now to put my tired ass to sleeeeep

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
yes grocery getter gets exactly what the problem is

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

there is too much travel in the stock shocks...

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

just got the truck back and the driver side camber is almost 100% but the passenger side is out quite a bit more... will me trying to fix this **** up the allignment i just got?

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

x2, the truck is probably fine, but pick up some drop shocks for the rear - Stylin Trucks has some belltech drop shocks on sale for something like 22.00 each. Pick up 2 and you will sleep better.

I ran run 5" springs with drop shocks and shock extenders - no problems.

you gotta link to these on sale?

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Issue that can't be fixed?
GO TO STARBUCKS"

lol...does that have anything to do with my truck? -_^?

**edit**

I clicked it...thats what I figured lol... *shakes head* hahahaha

As for shocks...my truck rides ****** stupid right now...the back end bounces soooooo bad....specially if Im going over 45mph and hit dips in the road...its horrible...maybe I should get different shocks? I JUST got these Mcgauhys shocks with the kit too...I'd hate to just waste my money by throwing them away...but seriously...its riding horrible...it looks like one of those dumb civics with cut coils bouncing as it drives down the road...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700