Steering wheel off center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monkey01

Reaction score
Hi,

Just picked up 2022 Yukon Denali. Noticed that my steering wheel is ted off center to the left but the car does drive straight though. If I center the steering wheel straight it definitely pulls to the right. Has anyone took a delivery and your steering wheel was off centered?

Just curious if this is a simple fix? Thanks.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘21 Tahoe has the same issue. I had the dealer do an alignment under warranty after a month or two of ownership hoping they’d re-center the steering wheel and it’s still off, but did claim the alignment was off and it does drive better since. But like I mentioned, my steering wheel is still off.

There are some rules with the alignment under warranty…I think it has to have more than 500, under 5000 miles, and less than 6 months or something you’d have to call your dealer to confirm as I don’t think those numbers are right; it’s been about a year since I had to mess with it).

Curious what kind of luck you have with getting that fixed. I’ve thought about complaining to the dealer again about it being off although it’s been 10 months now so I’m kinda used to it.

I’ve also seen a few other posts on here where people claimed the steering wheel alignment gets worse over time although that’s not something I’ve experienced if it happens.

lky1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue on my 22 Z71 and just brought it to the dealer two weeks ago. The alignment was significantly off. They adjusted it and the steering wheel centering is much improved. I brought it in at around 2000 miles.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I experienced this with my first 2021 Yukon SLT and with my AT4. They could never get the wheel centered on the SLT and I've yet to mention it on my AT4. I figure it's just another defect with these and will live with it. I have noticed that tire rotations do affect it somehow. I swear one of the tires is bigger than the other.... every other tire rotation it improves.

OP
OP
M

Monkey01

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I guess it's one of those things that are hit or miss. And that was my concern that they will make it worst, lol, never know with this alignment stuff.

I will update what dealer say.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will suggest something. You as the driver should set your steering wheel to how you perceive straight and have the tech align it to how you see it. The tech uses the lower dash and that can be off.
next thing to remember. These trucks are really 4 wheel alignments. Not like the old sold rear axel which you couldn’t do anything to

OP
OP
M

Monkey01

Reaction score
I will suggest something. You as the driver should set your steering wheel to how you perceive straight and have the tech align it to how you see it. The tech uses the lower dash and that can be off.
next thing to remember. These trucks are really 4 wheel alignments. Not like the old sold rear axel which you couldn’t do anything to
Good point. Thanks. The car ride straight with off center steering wheel. I guess what I'm getting at is do they even have to do alignment or just reposition the steering column. I'm no mechanic but just making observation.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can’t reposition the steering wheel. They have to align it. Sorry. But if it’s aligned properly, this thing drives like a sports car

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first 2021 SLT had 2 alignments to correct the steering wheel off-center. The first one over corrected the wheel and the 2nd attempt under corrected. I said screw it after that; to difficult to drop off at dealer, etc. My AT4 steering was not as bad, but definitely noticeable from the factory. I get a tire rotation every oil change and after the first rotation the steering went straight. After the 2nd rotation it went back to off-center; same exact position..(?)....

MSI_Mark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They can’t reposition the steering wheel. They have to align it. Sorry. But if it’s aligned properly, this thing drives like a sports car
Not quite understanding what you are saying. I've been aligning cars since 1978. GM trucks are front steer, in general, if the wheel is off to the left while going straight (and everything else is fine), then lengthening the tie rod on the left side and shortening the tie rod on the right side will reposition the steering wheel. That doesn't mean that there aren't other factors that will make the steering wheel crooked, but dealing specifically with your response, yes they can reposition the level of the steering wheel. Other factors that should be considered for a proper alignment is camber and caster and the one nearly no one takes into account, road crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie

Latest posts