Stationed in Germany

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07whitehoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am currently stationed in Germany and have aquired a problem on my hoe. P2135 throttle position sensor switch a/b voltage correlation. There are three messages that appear on the DIC. Engine power reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control. I looked at the wheel position sensor for the service stabilitrak & service traction control accompanying lights with the reduced engine power. Seem to be all ok. I have visual inspected the TPS connector but have yet to try the loose wire test on the connector. My tahoe at an idle almost seems like it wants to turn off and the lights go dim and back to normal after the engine RPM drops. I replaced the battery this past weekend and it worked like a champ for one drive. Shut it off after parking in my drive way, turned it back on and the lights are all back on. I then cleaned out the Throttle Body housing. I think that the TPS sensor could be the failing piece. Anyone have any suggestions. I would take it to a shop but there is a lack of GM dealers in Germany.... Not that it would be my first choice anyways.
Eric

I will shut it off and come back less than a minute later, start it up the problem is gone. All up until I start to drive and then it is back. Sometimes it does not come back for a day. Current conditions are damn cold, 0 degrees F + or - 5. I am getting ready to deploy and would like to have this resolved if at all possible. Someone please help. Thanks.

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck, buddy! I am dealing with what I suspect is a failing throttle body position sensor right now myself. My symptom is the accelerator pedal sticking...... very dangerous obviously! It will not reset or let the gas pedal back off unless you kill the engine, coast to a stop, and restart the engine.

Supposedly GM knows about these various throttle body problems people are having, but they have not issued a Service Bulletin or done a recall on any of them. My dealership therefore will not replace the throttle under warranty.

The Service Manager says the throttle body position sensor can not be had unless you buy the entire throttle body. I am replacing the entire throttle body unit on Monday at a cost of $380 out of my pocket.

It's now become an issue of money vs safety. Since my daughter drives this Tahoe more than I do, I have decided to foot the bill myself, the hell with warranty coverage.

And it's certainly placed a hold on my buying a new Suburban anytime soon.
:Rant:

OP
OP
07whitehoe

07whitehoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DIY fix

So I have similar problems that you are minus the pedal accelerator sticking. Mine just cuts off so I do not need to turn it off as the vehicle does it for me anywhere and everywhere. Let me tell you how much fun it is driving on the Autobahn and having that happen...
So I went to Rockauto and purchased the throttle body ($89.00) and gasket($27.00) + shipping for a total of $140 to my address. I hope to have it here by the begining of next week so update will be made upon the installation. Good luck with yours as well.

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know nothng about these new cars and all their electronics. But this is the way my local Service Manager explained it to me.... he said the accelerator pedal sensor sends a message to the engine control module, the engine control module then telling the throttle body how much gas should be applied. He said stalling or a sticking throttle can be a breakdown in communications anywhere in the three seperate components.

I find my symptom (sticking gas pedal) to be extremely dangerous since I have a young daughter who drives my Tahoe. But the dealer is not willing to replace anything under warrranty until they know which of the three components is causing it. My research has led me to believe that my throttle position sensor is defective. But it can only be replaced with OEM parts if you buy the complete throttle body.

I am purchasing the entire throttle boy out of my own pocket, $380. It's a matter of safety vs money. Safety wins. If the problem continues I will next replace the accelerator position sensor, which can only be had if you buy the entire assemply as well. If both of these do not eliminate my problem I will probably then purchase the engine control module.

The "we couldn't duplicate the problem" excuse is not acceptable from a service department. I can't duplicate the problem at will either, but it has happened 3 times now, once again last night. But I also can't park a $50,000 vehicle just because it might do it again. Weird situation all the way around for all involved.

ajaxnxs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sheriff, go to another dealer or service station. They are trying to get you. there is no reason why they cant look into it thoroughly(sp) and take care of the issue.

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sheriff, go to another dealer or service station. They are trying to get you. there is no reason why they cant look into it thoroughly(sp) and take care of the issue.

I honestly don't have time to fool with it. Would have to take it 25 miles, drop it off, come back and get it. If they do the same thing, then the next dealer is 35 miles away, take it, drop it off, go back to get it. It's just a royal PITA.

Having bought dozens of new cars in the last 30 years, I know it's hard to get anything like this fixed while it's under warranty. If they claim not to be able to find the problem, they don't have to fix it.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know nothng about these new cars and all their electronics. But this is the way my local Service Manager explained it to me.... he said the accelerator pedal sensor sends a message to the engine control module, the engine control module then telling the throttle body how much gas should be applied. He said stalling or a sticking throttle can be a breakdown in communications anywhere in the three seperate components.

I find my symptom (sticking gas pedal) to be extremely dangerous since I have a young daughter who drives my Tahoe. But the dealer is not willing to replace anything under warrranty until they know which of the three components is causing it. My research has led me to believe that my throttle position sensor is defective. But it can only be replaced with OEM parts if you buy the complete throttle body.

I am purchasing the entire throttle boy out of my own pocket, $380. It's a matter of safety vs money. Safety wins. If the problem continues I will next replace the accelerator position sensor, which can only be had if you buy the entire assemply as well. If both of these do not eliminate my problem I will probably then purchase the engine control module.

The "we couldn't duplicate the problem" excuse is not acceptable from a service department. I can't duplicate the problem at will either, but it has happened 3 times now, once again last night. But I also can't park a $50,000 vehicle just because it might do it again. Weird situation all the way around for all involved.

If I were you, I would write directly to GM Headquarters in Detroit!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

I honestly don't have time to fool with it. Would have to take it 25 miles, drop it off, come back and get it. If they do the same thing, then the next dealer is 35 miles away, take it, drop it off, go back to get it. It's just a royal PITA.

Having bought dozens of new cars in the last 30 years, I know it's hard to get anything like this fixed while it's under warranty. If they claim not to be able to find the problem, they don't have to fix it.

I am sorry Sheriff, but a PITA is certainly worth 380 bucks! At least to me!

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry Sheriff, but a PITA is certainly worth 380 bucks! At least to me!

I lose too much time from work taking it back and forth to out of town dealerships. Plus family member has to come pick me up, then take me back when the car is finished.

I really wish I lived in an area where there's 10 Chevrolet dealerships within a 10 mile radius, like Richmond, Virginia for example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syngyn

Latest posts