1995-1999 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bushwookie1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents. Ok. I've obtained a 1995 chevy tahoe with a 5.7 and TBI. I already have a 1999 gmc yukon with a 5.7 SPI . Question is how hard would it be to swap the motor out of the Tahoe into the yukon until I get the yukon motor rebuilt?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be more then it's worth. Obviously completely different FI system so fuel system won't work. Different heads so swapping intake won't work if you wanted to swap fuel injection. And "getting a motor rebuilt" is a real thing of the past. Buying a crate motor or a quality remanufactured motor would be money and time better spent.

OP
OP
B

Bushwookie1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. What's the issue with the motor that you need to rebuild it?
The 99 is all original. Starts up, idles at 1000 rpm , revs up good but once you put it in gear and accelerate it starts popping and acting like it's starving. I've changed the spider injection and no different. All new 02 sensors, new mass air flow, new plugs, new wires, even new distributor. Only thing I haven't replaced is the original ECM.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 99 is all original. Starts up, idles at 1000 rpm , revs up good but once you put it in gear and accelerate it starts popping and acting like it's starving. I've changed the spider injection and no different. All new 02 sensors, new mass air flow, new plugs, new wires, even new distributor. Only thing I haven't replaced is the original ECM.
Is the CEL on?
Do you have access to any type of code scanner?
The idle air control valve and TPS can both have symptoms like you're describing if they are failing.
By no means am I saying these are definite solutions, but I'd rule them out if you haven't already.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own a compression tester beside me? Start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start.
1698770277819.png
I have a compression tester. But I'd rather use a scanner before I pull a plug. In fact, I use my scanner while driving sometimes.
Can you see the traffic ticket now? It reads "OBD2 scanning while driving" LOL.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought dropping in a early 5.3/6.0 was easy on these.. Better engine, more power, and a few other things.

Can anyone offer input on that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts