Starter problem... maybe???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff McCollough

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 02 Tahoe 5.3 with 250,000 miles. Out of the blue it won't start. When the key is turned, it does absolutely nothing. No noise at all, no cranking, no trying to crank. Thought it might be the battery but there's plenty of voltage. Wondering if it is the starter? Has anyone had this problem???

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming the battery is fully charged just tap the starter body while a friend holds the key in the start position. Many times this will get it to unstick and start one last time. Sorta like banging on the gas tank to unstick a fuel pump. Stay away from the electrical connections on the starter when you rap on it.

OP
OP
J

Jeff McCollough

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Assuming the battery is fully charged just tap the starter body while a friend holds the key in the start position. Many times this will get it to unstick and start one last time. Sorta like banging on the gas tank to unstick a fuel pump. Stay away from the electrical connections on the starter when you rap on it.
Did that. Didn't work.

OP
OP
J

Jeff McCollough

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tried all those tricks. It's the classic no crank, no start. I do know that the engine itself is not seized. It definitely turns. I bought a new starter and am replacing it today. Will let you all know the results later. Thank you gentleman for your ideas and input.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If jumpin the terminals for the starter relay did nothing then you did right by purchasing a new starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadi awais