Stalled out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I appreciate that and as a veteran my self let me say to you. "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE" ... I have no choice but to keep on keepin on lol. I have more time than money so it just means more garage time.

Right back at ya'. Hopefully you get this problem figured out asap.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This stalling while rolling to stop torque converter problem and the electrical problems caused by ground connection problems are well documented here on the forum. Many threads about dirty MAF and throttle body cleaning as well and a bunch of fuel pump problem scenarios. IMO, these seem to be a top 5 of many hair pulling problems on here.

Would shifting to neutral before rolling to stop confirm or dismiss this?

This failure will throw a code. If there isn’t a code, it’s almost certain a mechanical failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not always. If the erroneous info that a faulty TPS (or any sensor for that matter) is sending the PCM is still within operating parameters, expected or not, then a code may not be thrown.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I believe that shifting to neutral would prevent the stall with a bad convertor. My mom, years ago, had a Buick FWD car and this was happening to her and before I fixed it for her I just unplugged at the trans and it stopped the problem till I got in there.

Yes, parameters can be very wide before a code could be set but the driver can still experience the problems and those damn dealer techs will just say that no code so drive it till it is towed in.

vettes980

Reaction score
Yes, parameters can be very wide before a code could be set but the driver can still experience the problems and those damn dealer techs will just say that no code so drive it till it is towed in.

I bought my Yukon with the TPS codes present and it would run like normal so the thought of it stalling and being the cause and not throwing codes is wishful thinking.

Your sentiment is widely known however and it is why I replaced numerous sensors chasing my stalling issue.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In neutral the TC is just spinning. It is not supposed to be engaging anything, if I remember right but I am not a trans tech. I do know about when people start there engines in park and they feel a lurch forward that something is not right but I forget what that was all about. Someone here will cue me in.

vettes980

Reaction score
In neutral the TC is just spinning. It is not supposed to be engaging anything, if I remember right but I am not a trans tech. I do know about when people start there engines in park and they feel a lurch forward that something is not right but I forget what that was all about. Someone here will cue me in.
But if the computer can’t disengage the TC when it tries to come to a stop, wouldnt putting it in neutral also fail to disengage it?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is why I say I am not a trans tech. To me, if the computer cannot disengage the TC electrically, then shifting to neutral does it mechanically. But for all I know I am blowing smoke out my ass with that understanding. I wish I was better at transmission workings inside that case.

vettes980

Reaction score
That is why I say I am not a trans tech. To me, if the computer cannot disengage the TC electrically, then shifting to neutral does it mechanically. But for all I know I am blowing smoke out my ass with that understanding. I wish I was better at transmission workings inside that case.
Lol, same here! Not an expert on transmissions either. I just know coasting up and into my driveway in neutral still resulted in a stall numerous times, then after pouring in that snake oil on the recommendation from my trans shop it magically stopped it from stalling. My rig would stall like clockwork after so many minutes of driving everyday and since that trip to the trans shop it has staled once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse

Latest posts