Stalled out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all I had a weird thing happen this morning. I have an 08 yukon xl denali and just to give background. I had recently had abs ad traction control issues that causes a limp mode. i thought I was going to have to change ecm. I tightened grounds on battery and truck runs great. well this morning I left for work as normal and while coming to a stop she stalled out. she wouldnt start back up. I called for a tow but thenI decided to try to start it again and turned the key and gave it gas and it roared to life. I drove it back home and it ran until I slowed down to pull into driveway and it stalled again. started up the same way by giving it gas and pulled the rest of the way up to property. truck sat there running great while I started other car and when I shut it off it started right back up. no check engine light at all. and only thing on dash is suspension system and service brakes soon. I recently changed caliper and I dont think I got all the air out which is why I believe the service brakes soon is on as the rotors and pads are new front and rear. anyway The stalling is what I am lost on. I replaced the fuel pump last year. I hope that is not the issue again.

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know who made the fuel pump and I do not own a tech 2. I am a home mechanic and I cant afford that type of scanner. I will check fuel pressure I guess. I went with a cheaper fuel pump as it was when I only had 1 vehicle and didnt have a ton of money. so since I went the lower end rout I am thinking that is it but It just seems weird that it idles fine and drives fine but stalls on deceleration

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When is the last time you cleaned the MAF and throttle plate? MAF cleaner is available at the parts store and follow directions on the container. Plenty of you tubes out there on how to do the throttle plate. Watch 2-3 you tubes on that because they are not all the same. Best if have fuel pressure readings when problem happens. Long hose attachment means you can snake out at back of hood and tape to windshield to see. You can get Tech 2 scanners at ebay for $350.

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know who made the fuel pump and I do not own a tech 2. I am a home mechanic and I cant afford that type of scanner. I will check fuel pressure I guess. I went with a cheaper fuel pump as it was when I only had 1 vehicle and didnt have a ton of money. so since I went the lower end rout I am thinking that is it but It just seems weird that it idles fine and drives fine but stalls on deceleration

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned the throttle body last year really good when I removed intake manifold to change oil pressure sensor. I also did a soak and deep clean on intake manifold as well. I will look for a fuel pressure gauge so I can check it. The truck runs and idles smooth and I watch y t videos on everything I do.. it's how I knew what to do when I had to change a 4 dollar o-ring for the pickup tube which sucked. It is just so frustrating that these things are so sensitive to the smallest electrical inconsistency...

vettes980

Reaction score
Sounds like transmission. If there are no codes, don’t chase hunches. I did and threw $500 down the drain. How many miles and when was the last trans fluid change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure how transmission caused this. truck runs perfect at idle and while driving ans shifting. it stalled when coming to a stop and then acted flooded when i tried to restart it. after 10 min i turned the key and pushed gas and it fired up and drove it back home normal until I hit the brakes to pull into driveway and then she stalled again, so I am very doubtful it is transmission. I am leaning fuel pump or the purge valve. as I said it runs and idles great..

vettes980

Reaction score
not sure how transmission caused this. truck runs perfect at idle and while driving ans shifting. it stalled when coming to a stop and then acted flooded when i tried to restart it. after 10 min i turned the key and pushed gas and it fired up and drove it back home normal until I hit the brakes to pull into driveway and then she stalled again, so I am very doubtful it is transmission. I am leaning fuel pump or the purge valve. as I said it runs and idles great..
Torque converter stays locked up, either from a failing TC or the solenoids or the valve body controlling it. Try a bottle of this before you do anything. This is the cheapest thing you can do. And search this formum for my issue. I’ve documented my issues pretty extensively and I had the same symptoms. Including the crappy feeling you have right now with someone telling you have a failing trans. df72d19a92e3ca79e8f2cf46b868966b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol thanks I will definitely look this up. is this stuff available in box stores like advance auto or online order

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645