squeaking sound from front while turning wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my 08 yukon xl denali just started this am. when sitting still, as I turned my wheel and start moving I noticed a loud squeaking sound. all ball joints and tie rods seem tight and have no play. but is almost sounds like rubber binding but I cannot locate the culprit. My wheel bearing is tight with no play either. I replaced bearing on passenger side but drivers was still good. it will do it when sitting idle or moving has anyone had any of these issues?

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes I am sure. wife called me after dropping her off at work and said it was loud and sounded real bad it sounded like my chrysler 300 did when I installed poly bushings onmy sway bar and forgot to grease them, but i didnt do that. and no it wasnt super cold, been colder but definitely started today. I had heard it before but it stopped. but recently

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Well, here too on our 08 Denali XL and the squeaking on ours is occurring when the wheel has is turned and sounds like fluid being restricted or getting past an O ring in the steering rack.

This started when we had the rack replaced last month. Our tech is aware of it and stumped too. It’s going in for some other work next week and he’s going to either condemn the rebuilt AC Delco rack or pump for replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here too on our 08 Denali XL and the squeaking on ours is occurring when the wheel has is turned and sounds like fluid being restricted or getting past an O ring in the steering rack.

This started when we had the rack replaced last month. Our tech is aware of it and stumped too. It’s going in for some other work next week and he’s going to either condemn the rebuilt AC Delco rack or pump for replacement.

Mine is lower ball joint ... I used a grease gun needle and injected the boot and sound went away .I am waiting for new ball joints co come in

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely both upper and lower ball joints are dry. Factory joints do not have grease fittings (thanks GM) As stated in the previous thread a grease needle is the easiest solution just fill the boot with grease and drive happy. If you let it go very long it starts sounding like this!!!!!!!!!!
VERY ANNOYING

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yea, that’s squeak, mine rack is a moaner. That’s was GM calls non serviceable, lifetime lubricated [emoji23]

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only way to properly diagnose is to remove the wheels and remove the tie rods and then turn each piece individually including the steering rack. The sound reverberates through the entire system and it is almost impossible to isolate it without doing this procedure. Good Luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont