Squeak on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a tensioner that will last more than 3 years? This one was replaced in December ‘21 by the previous owner. I haven’t called the installer yet but the paper work is pretty clear, warranty valid to original purchaser only.
5+ yrs and 63k miles ago I repalced all my belts, pulleys, tensioners, with NAPA/Gates.

Still going strong.

OP
OP
Writefast

Writefast

Reaction score
So captain Short Sighted here has purchased a new pulley. How in the actual freak do you get the old pulley off the tensioner housing/mechanism??

OP
OP
Writefast

Writefast

Reaction score
Okay. New pulley on. No change. (As an aside, the “wiggling” I saw was the tensioner moving. Because I’m an idiot.) Cranked her up without the belt and no squeak. Spun every pulley by hand. No wiggle or squeak. I’m hoping it’s the belt because I’m changing that out next.
Confirmed: I apparently have no idea how to use a mechanics stethoscope.

OP
OP
Writefast

Writefast

Reaction score
Wash all that **** out of the engine that the dealers put on...
It's like armor-all.. Just attracted dirt and grease.
Could just be some still on the belts and components
AND YOU win the kewpie doll. Turns out it was the belt. Buddy of mine suggested spraying the belt with hairspray to make it tacky. If the squeak went away, belt was fouled. Did it, squeak went away. Well done sir.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AND YOU win the kewpie doll. Turns out it was the belt. Buddy of mine suggested spraying the belt with hairspray to make it tacky. If the squeak went away, belt was fouled. Did it, squeak went away. Well done sir.
And you may still foul another belt or two until whatever it is is finally worn away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman