Squeak on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Writefast

Writefast

Reaction score
Chirping could be a dry/glazed belt. Again, remove belt and see if noise goes away, on start up. Could be water pump. Get a mechanic's stethoscope and listen at the bearing snout.
Scoped. In the photo, if I’m using the damn thing correctly, pulley #1 is relatively quiet. Pulley #2, which looks new, has a lot of grinding to it and visually moves side to side occasionally. There’s a third pulley attached to the AC not pictured. It also seems to have a lot of noise to it. Neither pulley, through the stethoscope, made a “squeaking” noise. That specifically I could not find. Squeak is now consistent if quiet while driving, is less loud on deceleration, and is less loud if I’ve run the engine a while, turn it off, and crank it back up. I have yet to pull the belt and crank IMG_9486.jpeg

OP
OP
Writefast

Writefast

Reaction score
#2 is a tensioner pulley. Replace the whole tensioner or just the pulley.
So the fact that I can’t “hear” the squeak through the steth is okay? The pulley, when I put the probe to the bolt, sounded like it was grinding aluminum. But it did not squeak.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So the fact that I can’t “hear” the squeak through the steth is okay? The pulley, when I put the probe to the bolt, sounded like it was grinding aluminum. But it did not squeak.
The grinding is not good. Moving side to side is not good. If the tensioner part is of unknown age, replace the whole thing.

OP
OP
Writefast

Writefast

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a tensioner that will last more than 3 years? This one was replaced in December ‘21 by the previous owner. I haven’t called the installer yet but the paper work is pretty clear, warranty valid to original purchaser only.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a tensioner that will last more than 3 years? This one was replaced in December ‘21 by the previous owner. I haven’t called the installer yet but the paper work is pretty clear, warranty valid to original purchaser only.

Does it specify the brand or part number that was installed? Wondering what the quality is.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen in some situations that it's not the part that is built poorly, but the
conditions around it... like really dusty/dirty or very rust belt areas that
the pulleys get **** in them and it just lessens the bearings' life
or the engine is never cleaned properly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove