Spring too close to Frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the spohn track bar also and it was a simple install.

I couldn't get my grinder in far enough to cut the backside of the bumpstops bracket, even with a 7.5" blade on it. Ended up cutting most of it with a sawzall and bending the piece back and forth until it broke off.

My swaybar isn't parallel to the ground after lowering it, but I've looked and can't seem to locate shorter sway bar end links for the rear. Where can I find them?

Now that you mentioned it, I did bend mine down to access the back side. I cut outside and inside simultaneously with the sawzall until I was close to the fuel tank, cut the outside with the grinder, then beat a chisel into the cut slot to open it enough to get my pry bar into it and bend it down. I may have trimmed more off the outside wall for more room to get the grinder in there, but I was able to reach the back wall with the cut-off disc.

How much are you lowered in the rear? There may be others, but all I know of are the DJM links with the offset designed into them to shift the sway bar to the right side about 1".

If yours isn't at that much of an angle, it's probably okay as-is. Maybe not 100% optimal, but okay. Unless someone chimes in with shorter stock replacement links, I'd suggest sectioning out the stock ones if you or a friend can weld.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What panhard do you recommend?

I believe there are only two available for our rigs- Spohn and another one. The Spohn is straight and the other curves out away from the differential to provide clearance for those with an aftermarket reinforced diff cover. I'd imagine them all to be about the same price and they should all be fairly equal in quality and performance since they're a simple device designed to do one thing. I may have imagined it, but I thought I saw a Spohn for sale in the classifieds forum. I have a Spohn I picked up off the classifieds here. It took maybe 20 minutes to install.

I was having similar issues. Also experiencing limited help after buying a similar kit then having the same customer service experience. I have my 2006 completely tore down and redoing the kits. I am also cleaning up the frame where I did the free travel mod.

Here are a few pan hard options that I ran across.

42c58ddd6045d173fbb5b773c25ed06e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
G

groundscraper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm running the spohn track bar also and it was a simple install.

I couldn't get my grinder in far enough to cut the backside of the bumpstops bracket, even with a 7.5" blade on it. Ended up cutting most of it with a sawzall and bending the piece back and forth until it broke off.

My swaybar isn't parallel to the ground after lowering it, but I've looked and can't seem to locate shorter sway bar end links for the rear. Where can I find them?
I had the same struggles cutting the bump stop bracket. I need to go back in there and clean it up some more. The damn gas tank is just too close.

BrainDead

Reaction score
Now that you mentioned it, I did bend mine down to access the back side. I cut outside and inside simultaneously with the sawzall until I was close to the fuel tank, cut the outside with the grinder, then beat a chisel into the cut slot to open it enough to get my pry bar into it and bend it down. I may have trimmed more off the outside wall for more room to get the grinder in there, but I was able to reach the back wall with the cut-off disc.

How much are you lowered in the rear? There may be others, but all I know of are the DJM links with the offset designed into them to shift the sway bar to the right side about 1".

If yours isn't at that much of an angle, it's probably okay as-is. Maybe not 100% optimal, but okay. Unless someone chimes in with shorter stock replacement links, I'd suggest sectioning out the stock ones if you or a friend can weld.

I installed a belltech 2/4 kit a couple weeks ago and didn't notice the bar was angled. Last week I picked up a set of eibach F&R bars and when installing them I noticed how bad the angle was so I started looking around on here. I found this post and started looking at rockauto. I believe the stock links are about 8" and the ones off of an 00 burban are just older 5.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/cheap-shorter-rear-sway-bar-links-for-lowered-suvs.17590/

Going to measure mine tomorrow and see if it will work.

Why do I need to offset the sway bar to the right?

BrainDead

Reaction score
My bad, the 00 burban is too long, the 99 escalade is shorter, the stock links are 10", the 99 escalade is 6.5"

Going to measure mine tomorrow and will report back

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a belltech 2/4 kit a couple weeks ago and didn't notice the bar was angled. Last week I picked up a set of eibach F&R bars and when installing them I noticed how bad the angle was so I started looking around on here. I found this post and started looking at rockauto. I believe the stock links are about 8" and the ones off of an 00 burban are just older 5.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/cheap-shorter-rear-sway-bar-links-for-lowered-suvs.17590/

Going to measure mine tomorrow and see if it will work.

Why do I need to offset the sway bar to the right?

With large drops, the passenger side arm of the swaybar hits the panhard bar frame side mount. The DJM end links are shorter to coincide with the drop so the arms are (more) parallel to the ground and also shift the bar to the right 1" to provide clearance.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad, the 00 burban is too long, the 99 escalade is shorter, the stock links are 10", the 99 escalade is 6.5"

Going to measure mine tomorrow and will report back

Take a peek under there with a tape measure and see where the arms would be if you were to swap those links. If they'd interfere, you're gonna have get the DJM ones.

BrainDead

Reaction score
Take a peek under there with a tape measure and see where the arms would be if you were to swap those links. If they'd interfere, you're gonna have get the DJM ones.

So I finally had free time to climb under and get some pics, unfortunately they're too large to post here. I compared the new shorter bars to the existing ones and if I install them, the swaybar will hit the panhard bar mount. But the 1" shift from the djm bars wouldn't clear it either. So I think I'm going to have to shorten my existing bars maybe an inch or two and live with it. I'm assuming that as long as the swaybar isn't more than a 45 degree angle to the frame it should still do its job?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally had free time to climb under and get some pics, unfortunately they're too large to post here. I compared the new shorter bars to the existing ones and if I install them, the swaybar will hit the panhard bar mount. But the 1" shift from the djm bars wouldn't clear it either. So I think I'm going to have to shorten my existing bars maybe an inch or two and live with it. I'm assuming that as long as the swaybar isn't more than a 45 degree angle to the frame it should still do its job?

Odd that the DJM links wouldn't shift it enough. Speaking of, the 1" shift was more of an estimate. It's probably a little more than that. Other than those links, we and I'm sure a thousand others have the same rear drop +/- some. Did you account for the sway bar being bolted to the far outside of the DJM link? I'm just trying to figure out what you have going on here cuz this is a known problem with these rigs and the DJM end links are known as THE solution across the board. It not working on one vehicle makes me concerned that there may be something out of whack under that vehicle. If yours was wrecked badly enough to bend something along these lines, I'm sure you'd know it and would've mentioned it.

The links shifting the bar to the right ~1" apparently works for much more than a 4" drop- this one's 'bagged.

166721-4eee61c9cc31503f15d6a64b46b570f6.jpg

The further from parallel the bar is, the less effective it is due to the loss of leverage. I'd double check everything about them DJM links before going through all the hassle of modifying some other incorrect links to make it "fit" but still not really "work" like it should. Not when there's a bolt-on correct solution.

BrainDead

Reaction score
IMG_20200113_140809176.jpg
Based on this photo I took today those links are going to be pretty close. But I'll call djm and see what the distance is that shifts the bar over. And no frame damage or major wrecks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout