Spring too close to Frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

groundscraper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed the Belltech 5305 rear spring kit on my wife’s ‘13 Yukon for a 3 inch drop. I was inspecting the springs today and noticed the driver’s side spring was too close to the frame much more so than the passenger. I don’t hear any rubbing, but it seems too close for comfort. Is this normal or might the spring be seated incorrectly? It looks like it’s correctly seated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you sure the rear axle is not shifted to the driver's side for some reason? What is the actual measured distance difference. Also check the distance in front of each rear tire and the back of the tire to make sure axle is square in the frame. You may have a different thrust angle as well for some reason. I would assume, I don't like to do that, you have crawled under there to make sure the springs are installed correctly in the perches.

OP
OP
G

groundscraper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m not sure if the axle had shifted or not. I did crawl in there and moved the spring around and adjusted it a bit. It gave me a bit more clearance, just not as much as the passenger side. Right now the spring is about 1/4” off the frame.

Tide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the same issue with my Escalade. Mine was actually rubbing for a couple weeks until I realized what the issue was. It was recently on a lift and I noticed how close it was to hitting it once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Belltech 5305 rear spring kit on my wife’s ‘13 Yukon for a 3 inch drop. I was inspecting the springs today and noticed the driver’s side spring was too close to the frame much more so than the passenger. I don’t hear any rubbing, but it seems too close for comfort. Is this normal or might the spring be seated incorrectly? It looks like it’s correctly seated.

I always thought those coils gave at least a 4" drop. Did you measure before and after to know for sure? How does it ride? Did you do the free travel mod? Shorter shocks or extenders?

As for your axle location issue, it's because you need an adjustable panhard bar. The bar swings in an arc as the suspension cycles up and down, so the body is pushed or pulled side to side. The panhard is set to have everything mostly centered with the vehicle at its stock height. When you lower it, you're holding the suspension in a position as if it's compressed so the swing of the panhard has the body pulled to the side more than at stock height.

See how the tires are centered then not centered in the fender wells as the suspension cycles? An adjustable panhard will let you lengthen or shorten it to re-center the axle at the new ride height. I have a Spohn panhard on mine with a ~4" rear drop.

t_anim_p.gif

If you can weld and wanna save some cash, you can cut your stock panhard, center the axle at ride height, overlap the two halves of the bar (you'll be shortening the bar to center the axle) and weld it back together.

OP
OP
G

groundscraper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I actually didn’t get to measure since I started working on it pretty quickly. I bought this kit from Tonys website and it’s supposedly a 3” drop if you add the spacers, which I did. I did do the free travel mod and have shock extensions that come with the kit

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I actually didn’t get to measure since I started working on it pretty quickly. I bought this kit from Tonys website and it’s supposedly a 3” drop if you add the spacers, which I did. I did do the free travel mod and have shock extensions that come with the kit

I'm kinda shopping for some 5305 coils and can't get any straight answers as to what they actually drop. I'm seeing reports of anywhere from 3-6 inches with and without spacers. I don't understand where people get their figures from cuz that's a lot of variance.

The spacers are 1", so this tells me the coils alone should drop it 4". Does it ride softer than stock?

OP
OP
G

groundscraper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve also tried to get a hold of Tony since I bought the kit and then today but he has not answered

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ride is about the same as stock. Maybe a bit stiffer, but not much.

This is surprising. You have Autoride and/or a functioning Autolevel system? I don't mean to bombard you with these questions. It's just that I've been researching this so much lately and most of the info I'm finding is outdated, incomplete or blatantly inaccurate. I really appreciate your feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j