Long time lurker, guess it's time to post intro.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, North Louisiana guy here! I gave my 16 year old son my 2017 F150 so the wife would have peace of mind with him being in a reliable low mileage vehicle. PERFECT! I've owned 4th gens, a 05 GTO, a 05 vette and a 2012 CTSV so GM performance is in my blood! I wanted to find a Tahoe/Yukon to build a nice cammed daily to enjoy! Driving home from PA to Louisiana I found a 03 Tahoe in ATL that had a bad transmission but was already cammed (Howard's Rattler Cam 226/232 .525/.525 108), lowered and fairly clean plus the price was right so I snagged it and drug it home behind the old Ford. I then replaced a few things like the radiator so I could add E-fans, pulled the burnt 4l60e out and tossed in a 4l80e with a summit pro LS 3200 stall (tbss restall unit, its okay for what it is but the truck was a complete dog below 35-40 mph). I replaced the valve springs since the truck needed valve stem seals and just a little extra peace of mind for me. Swapped the Flowmaster 40 out for a nice Magnaflow straight through muffler ( big/long oval case to cut drone) then continued to fix odds and ends on it until I was satisficed. I recently totaled the truck from hydroplaning in the rain and spinning out which bent the frame.

tahoe.jpg

Soooo I was on the search for its replacement, over worked and running off zero sleep, against my better judgement I bought a 2005 Yukon Denali AWD with 167kon the clock. Found some issues and talked the seller down a good bit more and decided it was a decent buy.... Boy did I open a can of worms! First off I never checked the transmission fluid (which is burnt), so I pulled everything I could out the dipstick tube with a hand siphon pump and replaced it with new fluid. I plan on dropping it off at the transmission shop to have the filter and fluid changed and have them throw in some Corvette servo's since I don't have the time with work being extremely busy! Other issues I've found are as follows, wouldn't take gas, battery was under sized, someone did something like a big 3 upgrade and the battery terminals are trash, so I have charging issues which lead me to throw a new alternator on, still have weird check battery messages even tho its @ 14v... The truck has a aftermarket amp running the factory door speakers (common with the Bose amp failing) but its not wired correctly so the rear door speakers don't work 1/2 the time, when you try to use the fade its opposite...LOL... Someone cut the plug off the driver side HI beam harness and there were no high beam bulbs in the headlights (headlights housings are broken on the back side) washer tank is busted, driver side heated mirror has a haze in the glass, needs a headliner job, grille is broken around the passenger headlights, auto ride is broken ( not sure if compressor or shocks are blown, don't hear the compressor kick on).

So buying the battery, alternator, charcoal canister, vapor canister solenoid, dropping fuel tank to clear vent lines of charcoal debris, high beams, replacing the blacked out tails that were broken as well, replacing a few trim pieces and stuff... I still need to buy a drop kit with shocks, figure out if I want to rebuild the 4l65e stronger or swap another 4l80e in...Yukon.jpg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach! Looks good in Black!

Nice Yukon! Don't forget to check out the 2000-2005 section for any issues you have.

OP
OP
C

Cold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Nice rig. A set of bigger wheels will do wonders. Some say the 05-06 Denali was one of the best ever.
Yeah I plan on replacing the wheels one day lol. I see a H/C/I and built transmission in the near future haha!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's about time that you stopped just lurking and joined this Forum. :)

Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

It looks like you've got your work cut out for you, in order to get this truck well again. You may want to create a build thread in this Forum for your work on this truck, as it will be great information for anyone who comes to the Forum later with a similar list of repair needs for a similar truck.

I wish you the best of outcomes.

OP
OP
C

Cold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome!

Hopefully you were able to save the Tahoe for a parts rig?

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for the Tahoe? Yukon?
$3,777.13 for the Tahoe (his pay off at the small car lot)
$5,500 for the Yukon, more than I wanted but that the difference in 2 years and these crazy ass Rona car prices! I was more pissed off about it not taking fuel than anything lol. I think I’m gonna throw some servos and a transmission filter/drain fill and see if that will buy me some time. I’ve been driving it like a paw paw and transmission temps have stayed in the 180° range. I bought my vette because it had the 4l65e vs the 6l80 and it had 220° temps before I drain/filter swapped and added a cooler and a yank ss3600 and beat the crap out of it and it never missed at beat at 60k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llujum