Fresh install of Monroe 90027 Electronic to Passive Conversion Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lorenzep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 LTZ with the electronic shocks and the air assist in the back. Bought with 54k on it in 10/2009 and now has 135k. The pump was working for awhile, didn't even realize it was there. Then five years ago or so it started to make noise while it ran, then it seemed to run a lot, and finally I didn't hear it anymore. Been two? years since I last heard it. We don't tow or make it work hard that often and the ride seemed fine. Probably should have looked into it when it started to make noise. It was our 3rd car and I kept forgetting about it. I'm seriously considering selling and I didn't want to sell a problem. I went with the kit in the title sourced from Rock Auto, $423.62 to my door. Two built front struts, two rear shocks, two rear springs, and four 10w 2.2 Ohm resistors with connectors and shrink wrap. I went with this because I don't think I appreciated the electronic suspension, low cost, it's a 5th car now, 12 years old, and just R&R -no compressor checking, shock checking, no diagnosing, etc. Bought the kit that came with rear springs because I had read the existing springs weren't strong enough to work with non-air shocks. They were to 'assist' the air shock and they complemented each other. I read also that they were fine as long as you didn't tow. I thought it safe to just get the package. Short sighted maybe, but that's what I did.
Driveway install with hand tools. First, boy, these suckers have some frame rust. We have an 04 Pilot that looks concours compared to the sub.
Front is pure mechanical, remove old strut, insert new strut. One side at a time. Driver side lots of room and really easy. Pass side has lots of stuff in the way, R&R was still pretty easy, but the electronic bypass was tedious in the tight quarters.
Rear. Still pretty easy. One side at time. Removed the fender liner to make things easy. Used a second jack to control the suspension to ease pressure on the shock and lower slowly to remove the spring. Driver side Spring came out easy, but new was a little longer. Had to use an old toyota scissor jack to push it down an inch or two to get the new spring in. Electrics were accessible and stuffed it all back into the 'box' that holds the pump. I left the pump and, what I think is, the ride height sensor in. Pass side was pretty much the same except the wire to the shock was rusted solid and I had to cut it. New spring fit without any additional spreading. Tucked the bypass up on top of the frame and done. The ride height thing on this side was broken. Rear requires disconnection of a vent hose, separating the central brake line mount, disconnecting the sway bar links -I think that's all.

All done. No idiot lights. I did get the 'service suspension soon' message. I was getting that before off and on. Curious what causes that message. Completely forgot to measure ride height before I started. The back looks a little higher, but looking at it out the window now, it doesn't. Rides fine. I've just tooled around a little. Seems a little firmer, easily noticed over speed bumps, but nothing uncomfortable.
HTH,
Peter
kensington, MD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts