Split Decision... Help me make up my mind!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How so? I read an article that through new materials, GM engineers made the interior of the 900s larger. My '04 Montana had the feeling and probably reality of being more spacious inside than the redesigned '06. The '06 had thicker seats with storage compartments and airbags in them and a wheelbase slightly longer and yet the kids always felt more confined in that one compared to the two older ones we had.
The first thing that got me was the front seats. Because they put a bigger center console you loose room in the seats. It's also not the same width or height at the rear hatch. When we owned both at the same time I took measurements side by side and the GMT900 are only a few inches smaller but try and fit (I believe a full size) bed in it. It fit perfectly in my GMT800 but not the wifes GMT900. She likes the newer one for the buttons and I liked the older ones for the utility and way cheaper parts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first thing that got me was the front seats. Because they put a bigger center console you loose room in the seats. It's also not the same width or height at the rear hatch. When we owned both at the same time I took measurements side by side and the GMT900 are only a few inches smaller but try and fit (I believe a full size) bed in it. It fit perfectly in my GMT800 but not the wifes GMT900. She likes the newer one for the buttons and I liked the older ones for the utility and way cheaper parts.

Definitely so about the seats and parts in my experience! Everything costs $75+ on these 900s it seems! I did not know the rear hatch was smaller, interesting.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely so about the seats and parts in my experience! Everything costs $75+ on these 900s it seems! I did not know the rear hatch was smaller, interesting.
Yeah we bought a bed and used mine to pick it up (probubly had more gas) and then ended up moving a few months later and mine was already full so we tried to put it in hers and we couldn't lay it down or stand it up. It got me pretty heated so I measured it and sure enough it was maybe 2 inches but it was enough to where it wouldn't fit.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I did just have one of my Buds accuse me of going to the dark side today. He saw my EL and couldn't believe I went with Ford after my Tahoe.
They're all good vehicles, but I love it when people are so into theirs that all the others suck. I don't have any Ford tattoos...

I do have a GM vehicle that's a keeper though, and wicked lots of room. It's a former Greyhound, converted into a motorhome. 1953 GM PD 4104. Was a Greyhound from 1953-1963. GH sold them at 10 years or 3 million miles, which ever came first.
Mine is on the left, the other is a Bud's 1947 former Greyhound conversion. See, I still like GM stuff...

View attachment 214081
Cool as hell!! Any more pics?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Yeah we bought a bed and used mine to pick it up (probubly had more gas) and then ended up moving a few months later and mine was already full so we tried to put it in hers and we couldn't lay it down or stand it up. It got me pretty heated so I measured it and sure enough it was maybe 2 inches but it was enough to where it wouldn't fit.

Oh and the old GMT800 are layzboy seat where as the GMT900 are like sitting on a bench.

NBS. FTW. AGAIN. :p

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I did just have one of my Buds accuse me of going to the dark side today. He saw my EL and couldn't believe I went with Ford after my Tahoe.
They're all good vehicles, but I love it when people are so into theirs that all the others suck. I don't have any Ford tattoos...

I do have a GM vehicle that's a keeper though, and wicked lots of room. It's a former Greyhound, converted into a motorhome. 1953 GM PD 4104. Was a Greyhound from 1953-1963. GH sold them at 10 years or 3 million miles, which ever came first.
Mine is on the left, the other is a Bud's 1947 former Greyhound conversion. See, I still like GM stuff...

View attachment 214081

Omg. Where did you buy it? I NEED that.

Jamo

Reaction score
Do a Google search for GM PD 4104. They built 5,000 of them from '53 to '60. Lots still on the road and you can buy them cheap (or not, depending). The 4104 has a Detroit two cycle inline 6/71 Diesel (6 cyl, 71 ci per cyl) with a Spicer 4 speed. The next model up was the PD (Parlor Diesel) 4106, that had a Detroit 8v71 w/4 speed. They call that model the sportscar of buses. Parts are easy to find and the buses are around. Best vehicle I've ever owned, had it since 2007...
Bus Grease Monkey and Bus Nuts Online are my two favorite sites. Actually, the guy who started and runs Bus Grease Monkey owns the other bus in my pic...the '47. He was helping me with an undercarriage rehab on mine.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Do a Google search for GM PD 4104. They built 5,000 of them from '53 to '60. Lots still on the road and you can buy them cheap (or not, depending). The 4104 has a Detroit two cycle inline 6/71 Diesel (6 cyl, 71 ci per cyl) with a Spicer 4 speed. The next model up was the PD (Parlor Diesel) 4106, that had a Detroit 8v71 w/4 speed. They call that model the sportscar of buses. Parts are easy to find and the buses are around. Best vehicle I've ever owned, had it since 2007...
Bus Grease Monkey and Bus Nuts Online are my two favorite sites. Actually, the guy who started and runs Bus Grease Monkey owns the other bus in my pic...the '47. He was helping me with an undercarriage rehab on mine.
Have any interior shots?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645