Any idea what’s wrong with my baby help me out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschoops91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so a few weeks back some ******** decided he didn’t feel like stopping at the stop sign and ended up getting his little shit box car destroyed by my Yukon. However now I’m a little confused about what exactly is going on with her. So my steering wheel is turned just a tad to the left, but it drives perfectly straight. no pulling in either direction and there is a weird like grinding/rubbing noise coming from somewhere in the front but it’s only when I accelerate hard I’ll add some images and audio later on maybe someone knows what’s happening let me know thanks everyone to give some details the truck wasn’t driveable after the accident because it crushed the transmission cooler line so I had to replace that line and it was good to go minus the grill and chrome trim on the hood there really wasn’t much damage to my truck but it did a number to his car

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the crash threw the front out of alignment?

Regarding the noise, check to see if the disc brake shield behind the disc itself got bent and is now rubbing against the disc.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so a few weeks back some ******** decided he didn’t feel like stopping at the stop sign and ended up getting his little shit box car destroyed by my Yukon. However now I’m a little confused about what exactly is going on with her. So my steering wheel is turned just a tad to the left, but it drives perfectly straight. no pulling in either direction and there is a weird like grinding/rubbing noise coming from somewhere in the front but it’s only when I accelerate hard I’ll add some images and audio later on maybe someone knows what’s happening let me know thanks everyone to give some details the truck wasn’t driveable after the accident because it crushed the transmission cooler line so I had to replace that line and it was good to go minus the grill and chrome trim on the hood there really wasn’t much damage to my truck but it did a number to his car
Need to get this truck up on an alignment rack and inspect underneath thoroughly. Firestone Complete Auto Care has the facilities for this and can do it at a reasonable cost. Very hard to diagnose this without being able to lay eyes on it.

OP
OP
jschoops91

jschoops91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it possible that the crash threw the front out of alignment?

Regarding the noise, check to see if the disc brake shield behind the disc itself got bent and is now rubbing against the disc.
if it was the alignment then wouldn’t it pull one way or the other? or be wearing the tread on the tires differently

That was my initial thought too but the shield isnt touching anything and it’s not a constant thing it’s only during heavy acceleration and as soon as the rpm’s drop below 3000 it goes away so it starts anytime there’s hard acceleration either from a stop or if Im trying to pass someone and it drops a gear so I can slowly accelerate and there’s no noise but as soon as you get on it it starts

OP
OP
jschoops91

jschoops91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need to get this truck up on an alignment rack and inspect underneath thoroughly. Firestone Complete Auto Care has the facilities for this and can do it at a reasonable cost. Very hard to diagnose this without being able to lay eyes on it.
So I got it up on a lift and I don’t see anything wrong with anything nothing obvious wrong to me or my buddy granted neither of us are master mechanics or anything but I’m pretty mechanically inclined and have been working on cars for years both in a shop and my own personal vehicles but this one has me pretty stuck

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If nothing else take it in for an alignment. The shop would straighten the wheel first, check and adjust the alignment, and reset the steering angle sensor.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it was the alignment then wouldn’t it pull one way or the other? or be wearing the tread on the tires differently

That was my initial thought too but the shield isnt touching anything and it’s not a constant thing it’s only during heavy acceleration and as soon as the rpm’s drop below 3000 it goes away so it starts anytime there’s hard acceleration either from a stop or if Im trying to pass someone and it drops a gear so I can slowly accelerate and there’s no noise but as soon as you get on it it starts
Your truck can be perfectly aligned, and the steering wheel can be off center. Cheap alignment shops often get this result, because they don't do the full procedure.

Check for any heat shields that may have been moved from the accident. This includes the motor mount heat shields.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got it up on a lift and I don’t see anything wrong with anything nothing obvious wrong to me or my buddy granted neither of us are master mechanics or anything but I’m pretty mechanically inclined and have been working on cars for years both in a shop and my own personal vehicles but this one has me pretty stuck
Alignment rack is the key term.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Start with a shop who’ll give you a quote, possibly at no cost. Then better options are available from the forum.

Need to get this truck up on an alignment rack and inspect underneath thoroughly.

OP
OP
jschoops91

jschoops91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your truck can be perfectly aligned, and the steering wheel can be off center. Cheap alignment shops often get this result, because they don't do the full procedure.

Check for any heat shields that may have been moved from the accident. This includes the motor mount heat shields.
If it was a heat shield wouldn’t the noise be a constant thing not just when i accelerate heavy but I’ll take a look in the morning