Split Decision... Help me make up my mind!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phoenician_07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m prepared to get completely crucified about this subject but I need HONEST opinions.

I have a family of 5 (maybe 6 we don’t know yet too early to tell) and I need an SUV. I need 3rd row seating, and I need space in the back so most likely full size.

And to the meat and potatoes... 3rd gen Chevy Burb or 2nd gen Ford Expy?

I’ve been looking at what to look for when buying a Expy or a Burn and the Expy just seem to have a lot more that could go wrong. I know it heavily depends on the previous owner but I’m in between and can’t decide.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say, either are fine if you plan on toting the kids around, and thats it. The ford 5.4 has issues with breaking spark plugs. That's just bad news if you're terrified of breaking a spark plug doing simple tune up/maintenance work. :(

Do you want to do more with the truck? Pull a boat, camper, whatever? If so, I'd highly suggest a suburban 2500. The stock burb with the 5.3 seems a little anemic to me. Others will argue, because thats the internet....but the 6.0 is quite capable and would certainly give you the ability to pull 7-8k lbs. 01-06 will give you 6.0 or 8.1L options...if you go newer, I'm seeing 09+ would be the best...but good luck on that because they are pretty rare.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need an SUV. I need 3rd row seating, 3rd gen Chevy Burb or 2nd gen Ford Expy?

A 3rd generation Suburban huh? Well, I would recommend a '53 or '54 so you can get the 4-speed automatic transmission. As for the Expedition, wouldn't even consider it, those motors leave a lot to be desired compared with the LS or even the Stovebolt in the '53!

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are a family of 5 with LARGE dogs. I absolutely loved my suburban. It went everywhere with from Texas to Hawaii to Germany to upstate New York. So basically the heat of the south to the freezing temperatures of the north. The slow road of the islands to autobahn speeds. The 5.3 may seem anemic until you tune it. I never had a problem keeping up on the autobahn or towing our 8k camper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean/what model years by 3rd generation Suburban (current models are 10th generation) or 2nd generation Expy.

For a family of 5 or 6, you definitely would want the Expedition EL. And that wasn't available until the third generation Expy, starting in 2007. The regular-length Expy (like the Tahoe/Yukon) has very little cargo room behind the third row.

So unless you are indeed looking at Expeditions newer than 2006, your only choice is the Suburban/Yukon XL.

What I can say is that the 2000-2006 Suburbans/Yukon XLs were some of the best trucks GM ever made. With GMT900, starting in 2007, you have the addition of the multidisplacement system, AFM, and that is a whole new can of worms, on par with the Ford 5.4 breaking/popping spark plugs.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a few expeditions, as well as Tahoe's. Hands down, GM 3rd row seats suck bad, and there's no denying that. The leg room sucks, and removing them is even worse. That's where the expedition outshines the Tahoe/Suburban. Most expeditions are push button up or down 3rd row (lesser trim there is a latch that makes them go down), so you don't got to remove anything. And sitting back there you have more than enough leg room, vs the Tahoe/Suburban where there is NO legroom in the 3rd row.
The Tahoe/Suburban are WAY easier to work on if there are any problems, and service is easier. The 5.4 Triton is a pain to work on, and they don't get electric cooling fans till 2010! 5.4 does have a lot more torque than the 5.3, especially off idle. Most Expeditions do NOT have locking rears like GM does, but the IRS is nice in the Expy for handling.
There are alot Aftermarket products for GM, and there is verturally nothing for Expy's. And any power adders for the Expy are expensive and hard as hell to install, vs GM where there lots and it's easy to install.
I do prefer my 09 Tahoe to the Expys (3 of them I have had), EXCEPT the 3rd row and lack of IRS.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hands down, GM 3rd row seats suck bad, and there's no denying that. .

Really? After I understood what I was doing wrong, I think the GM seats were pretty decent. The ability to keep the third row locked in the 'up' position was sweet. That was something my sequoia couldnt do.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well i skipped ahead to the end to here to toss in my 2 cents on the ford. now im not particularly partial to the brands in general ford chevy and dodge. i think each mfg has made thier fair share of wtf. the 5.4 is fords wtf among others but we are focusing on the expeditions atm. i literally just worked on an 05 f150 with the 5.4. talk about an engine with so many flaws and chances for self detonation. the spark plug issue was corrected for the most part when they ditched the 2 piece spark plug and went to a solid spark plug. the chain tensioner is run off the oil pressure which is kept in check by a single oring. if said oring fails that side of the engine is no longer being oiled. the original oil pump is junk and not easy to get too. there are a few other issues but there is just too many catastrophic failures with the 5.4 for anyone to even consider it as an option.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? After I understood what I was doing wrong, I think the GM seats were pretty decent. The ability to keep the third row locked in the 'up' position was sweet. That was something my sequoia couldnt do.

Have you had to sit in the 3rd row? I'm 5'3 135lbs and I don't even fit back there, haha. For me, locking the 3rd seats up is useless, except for grocery shopping. I store the 3rd row seats in the garage, because I don't really need them. They are heavy, and they don't remove easily at all. That's all I miss from my old expy, push the button and the seats fold flat into the floor and are gone, no space taken up in the garage either, haha.
I had a:
95 Suburban 2500 - 3rd row sucked
05 and 09 Tahoe (still own both) - 3rd row sucks
99 Expedition - heavy ass 3rd row, lots
of leg room but spits spark plugs
05 and 07 Expedition - awesome 3rd row, but can't remove spark plugs

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmatson