Split Decision... Help me make up my mind!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never understood this obsession some folks have with these two features. It's never been an issue for us and we haul stuff in our cabs all the time.

I wouldn't call it an obsession, and I have 2 main reasons for ya:

- Rheumatoid Arthritis. I'm only 5'3, my 09 LTZ has the heavy ass perforated leather 3rd row (I think are heavier than my 05 cloth 3rd row) that kills my hands to even get to release the damn things, then once released, I have to pull and carry these heavy ass mofo's to my garage. This sets off pain in most of my body..
- Flat floor is nice when you haul around as much random stuff as alot lot other people do, like wood, furnature, camping supplies, etc. The way my Tahoe is, the floor is my biggest enemy. You loose height, stuff falls into creveases all over the back. One last point, if you randomly find something large at a store you'd like to take home immediately.... If you have your 3rd row seat in, you're screwed because there's no where to stash em if you're 500 miles away from home.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. What transmission temperatures were you seeing that caused you to upgrade?
Both engine and transmission were up around 230s. I know the Corvette and Camaro both see higher than that on a track but I prefer to be safer. Also I have done 2 transmission filters since then and the first one after the transmission cooler was pretty dark. Not bad but close. After the second filter change it was lighter again. And I am staying on the more cautious side. I'm at 150k and would like it to last another 100k.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way my Tahoe is, the floor is my biggest enemy. You loose height, stuff falls into creveases all over the back. One last point, if you randomly find something large at a store you'd like to take home immediately.... If you have your 3rd row seat in, you're screwed because there's no where to stash em if you're 500 miles away from home.

I understand the physical limitations part Mike, it stinks. That's one reason why I went with the XL so I wouldn't have to worry about fiddling with the seats. With my 3rd row folded up we've stuffed 58 or 59 inch tall dressers back there still.

Both engine and transmission were up around 230s. I know the Corvette and Camaro both see higher than that on a track but I prefer to be safer. Also I have done 2 transmission filters since then and the first one after the transmission cooler was pretty dark. Not bad but close. After the second filter change it was lighter again. And I am staying on the more cautious side. I'm at 150k and would like it to last another 100k.

You did right to change the fluid soon after that run. The system is made to take it, GM sets the warning up at 266 degrees and 270 to pull over and let it cool off. The fluid is good to 401 or something like that. So what were the temps with the new cooler on the way home?

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see over 200 even when I was pushing it hard. Normal driving is around 165.

Jamo

Reaction score
I agree with you 100% Mikeyss. I really liked my Tahoe, just not big enough. I like Suburbans too, but I got way more bang for my buck with the Limited Exp-EL. As for smaller vehicles with third row folding seats, my wife's Ford Flex is behind the EL in one of my pics. Third row is always there and the entire floor folds flat. I'd have one of those if I could get by, but as a semi retired building contractor, I have to haul plywood for my cabinet shop and the EL (as well as the Sub) will do it nicely.
Hey...I realize this is a Chevy/GMC board, but the guy wants options. Neither is perfect, I just moved on to something I thought would be better for me. I'll let you know if it doesn't in a few years...

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 02, 08 escalade and a supercharged expedition and the expedition has more room the GM by far if thats what you are looking for. I am actually a big expedition and GM fan. The only year expeditions that had the 2 piece plug issues are 04-07. Other then that, expeditions are great vehicles.

Jamo

Reaction score
Yes it does...I had a few inches on all four sides of the load of plywood I picked up today with my EL. 10 sheets, 4 x 8 x 1/2" Baltic Birch. Had about 700 pounds and it drove like empty. It even sits like it's empty in the pics...

IMG_4367.JPG IMG_4368.JPG

Jamo

Reaction score
I did just have one of my Buds accuse me of going to the dark side today. He saw my EL and couldn't believe I went with Ford after my Tahoe.
They're all good vehicles, but I love it when people are so into theirs that all the others suck. I don't have any Ford tattoos...

I do have a GM vehicle that's a keeper though, and wicked lots of room. It's a former Greyhound, converted into a motorhome. 1953 GM PD 4104. Was a Greyhound from 1953-1963. GH sold them at 10 years or 3 million miles, which ever came first.
Mine is on the left, the other is a Bud's 1947 former Greyhound conversion. See, I still like GM stuff...

IMG_3896.JPG

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GMT900 definitely have less room than the gmt800. My old suburban could fit way more than the new Denali. That is one of the things that got me to consider the el.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GMT900 definitely have less room than the gmt800. My old suburban could fit way more than the new Denali. That is one of the things that got me to consider the el.

How so? I read an article that through new materials, GM engineers made the interior of the 900s larger. My '04 Montana had the feeling and probably reality of being more spacious inside than the redesigned '06. The '06 had thicker seats with storage compartments and airbags in them and a wheelbase slightly longer and yet the kids always felt more confined in that one compared to the two older ones we had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645