Spindle Nut: Washer or No Washer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original spindle nut has a flat washer underneath it. One replacement Dorman in old packaging also has a washer. New spindle nuts came without washer and parts counter guys at 'O-Reilly say it's no longer needed because of thread design.

What say you, washer or no washer?

#01577 or #615-095

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Original spindle nut has a flat washer underneath it. One replacement Dorman in old packaging also has a washer. New spindle nuts came without washer and parts counter guys at 'O-Reilly say it's no longer needed because of thread design.

What say you, washer or no washer?

#01577 or #615-095
I would go with washer, unless you can find a tsb stating otherwise

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea definitely washer....doesnt have much to do with the thread design, i just wouldnt want to torque the nut against the splines of the wheel hub

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll revise my answer, I think it depends on what style nut you are using,
One style is narrow (#615-095) and would need a washer I believe since it's not wide enough to span across the metal of the hub. The other style has a "flange?" called a nut lock that is as wide as the washer would be and spans across the hub surface, I don't know if this is "proper" but it's what my 07 had on it, so hrmm maybe I have a wrong one, not sure, I do know that the previous owner every only had it serviced at a dealer(according to the carfax thingy)

Dorman 615-098 nut lock version (edit again, well this isn't it, but it's what mine looked like)

Dorman 615-095 Spindle Nut version

Not sure if it's right or not, but shows as fitting.

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like at @randeez answer but i do know there are spindle nuts with a ‘built in’ washer now. I say if the new nit looks like original throw a washer on, if its ‘flanged’ go without.... my 2 bits

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, in the interest of time we're going with washers, same kind. Local O'Reillys has two Dorman washers that interchange with OE washer so I'm sending the kids to go get them. If I'd thought this through better, I would have bought all GM parts even though it won't make a difference!

GM Spindle Nut Washer - 11522089 crosses to Dorman 618-057.

The only difference I see is that the former is 5.4 mm and the latter is 5.2 mm.

My father always accused me of majoring in minors... LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17