Speakers to go with Pioneer MVH1400NEX in an '07 Hoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

disasterman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a used 2007 Tahoe LT, which had a terrible base model factory Bose radio/CD player, (no Nav or touch screen), and just installed a Pioneer MVH1400NEX head unit, connected to the factory Bose system amplifier and speakers with an iData Maestro converter and wiring harness to work with the factory steering wheel controls.

The head unit was highly rated (for my price range) and sounds pretty good, but the speakers in a couple of the doors are blown or distort really bad. Some say this is a water issue.

From my understanding of other threads, the 2007 Tahoe's Bose amplifier is under the center console, along with some subwoofers, and it was designed for the specific Bose factory speakers that came with the truck, including the front door speakers that are under 2 ohm, with a crossover connection to the A- pillar tweeters, and the rear doors which are 4 ohm, and a couple subwoofers under the console. There are no other speakers.

After looking at the forums, and reading that not only can the door speakers suddenly fail, but also the amp itself can go bye-bye, I'm not thinking that I want to spend $40 to $50 per speaker to replace the door speakers with the same crappy OEM Bose factory speakers for $40 to $50 each.

Everyone says I could get some much better speakers that would work directly with the new head unit. I'm on a limited budget, and don't have a huge amount of money to spend, so I don't want to get into a money pit replacing all that factory stuff.

SO, what I'm wanting to explore, is replacing all four speakers, retaining only the plastic mounts (which mount the speakers about an inch or so out from the metal door frame), and mounting replacement after market speakers to them, like in this video:

and using some weather shields behind them, and maybe a foam ring in front of them. Then, in the front A-pillars, installing some
aftermarket tweeters, and finally, a new subwoofer under the center console where the existing Bose subs are.

I was told that the Pioneer will power such a speaker arrangement without needing an auxillary amplifier, or that I could get a relatively cheap amplifier and that there are subs that would fit under that center console in place of the Bose system.

Can you recommend what I should use in the way of new speakers that will work well with the Pioneer head unit?

Do I leave the iData Maestro and harness intact for the factory steering wheel controls? Any help appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSurfer5300

Latest posts