Sound of DEATH (Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can say anything they want about needing a trans replaced but they should give you details as to why the trans needs replaced. You should ask for, and get, detailed tests ran and the results of those tests. You should also take that info, write it all down if need be or get a printout from the shop-if they can be trusted they should comply, and bring it here and tell us what they said. We tend to think things/results thru and come to a conclusion instead of just the line like the shop says, "all bad-must be replaced". Chances are that someone here has experienced what you have and seen the same test results and can put your mind at ease with the decision. Think of it this way, an hour or two here can save you maybe $500 during that time and more if you need more info here.

Good advice and absolutely agree. That’s why I come here and still asking for opinions to what u guys think it may be before they even tell me what they say it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, find a chair in the trans shop waiting room, so to speak, and wait for the transmission doctor to bring the test results. Plus, if it does need a new/reman trans, what will you do? Do you know of a trusted/professional trans shop for a rebuild? Know of a reman supplier you trust? I would use a Jasper Transmission. Know of a source for a new trans? Have a trusted gearhead friend that can help remove and replace a trans if you decide to do it yourself?

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, find a chair in the trans shop waiting room, so to speak, and wait for the transmission doctor to bring the test results. Plus, if it does need a new/reman trans, what will you do? Do you know of a trusted/professional trans shop for a rebuild? Know of a reman supplier you trust? I would use a Jasper Transmission. Know of a source for a new trans? Have a trusted gearhead friend that can help remove and replace a trans if you decide to do it yourself?

Unfortunately for me my time is pretty much all occupied. I run a small business that my father started over 30 years ago and sadly he passed 3 months ago so my hours right now are 10am-10pm so yeah basically time for nothing right now.

The shop I took it to is a professional transmission shop. I’ve never dealt with them but I went had it taken there based on their good google reviews, I understand there are fake reviews out there but I had to take a chance. I’m definitely not a do it your selfer is installing a trans it out the question for me.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a small business that my father started over 30 years ago and sadly he passed 3 months ago so my hours right now are 10am-10pm so yeah basically time for nothing right now.

... I’m definitely not a do it your selfer is installing a trans it out the question for me.

In your case, time is money and fooling with the transmission itself would take your attention away from where it needs to be right now, making the bacon.

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well out of all days today I was having phone trouble with my iPhone saying invalid sim so calls were not coming through so I’m not sure if they called me or not but by the time I tried calling them to ask if they checked it out and what kind of diagnosis procedures they ran they were closed so I guess I won’t have an update till Monday

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking to another Tahoe owner and let him listen to the video and he thought that it could possibly be a problem within the transfer case, any thoughts on that?

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop called this morning and he said the tech said it was the trans that is done for.

I asked him about the transfer case and he said he mentioned that to the tech also because he thought it could be the tc but he said he’s never seen in 37 years for the trans not to go in reverse and it ended up being the tc. He said he would remove the tc inspect it and call me back. He said also while it was there it didn’t even want to go back in park

He just called and confirmed that they took the tc out and he said it looks like brand new. He said they were surprised when they opened it up of how clean it supposedly was.

Anyways he said the trans is done for and to rebuild it will cost minimum 1,900 but depending on what other expensive parts they will have to replace in there that it can cost up to 2,500 for rebuild.

If I were to get my own trans wether rebuilt or out of a junkyard he would charge 750.00 labor. I don’t think I wanna go the route of a junkyard trans but is there a trans that you guys recommend? Where to buy the jasper trans mentioned?

Is there anything else that should be replaced while the trans is out? I mentioned to him the rear main seal but he said since it is dry then no need, I do have a small oil leak but not sure where it’s coming from. I had a prior shop check that out and they were sure but they said they would have to clean it all up and run some dye through it.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shop called this morning and he said the tech said it was the trans that is done for.

I asked him about the transfer case and he said he mentioned that to the tech also because he thought it could be the tc but he said he’s never seen in 37 years for the trans not to go in reverse and it ended up being the tc. He said he would remove the tc inspect it and call me back. He said also while it was there it didn’t even want to go back in park

He just called and confirmed that they took the tc out and he said it looks like brand new. He said they were surprised when they opened it up of how clean it supposedly was.

Anyways he said the trans is done for and to rebuild it will cost minimum 1,900 but depending on what other expensive parts they will have to replace in there that it can cost up to 2,500 for rebuild.

If I were to get my own trans wether rebuilt or out of a junkyard he would charge 750.00 labor. I don’t think I wanna go the route of a junkyard trans but is there a trans that you guys recommend? Where to buy the jasper trans mentioned?

Is there anything else that should be replaced while the trans is out? I mentioned to him the rear main seal but he said since it is dry then no need, I do have a small oil leak but not sure where it’s coming from. I had a prior shop check that out and they were sure but they said they would have to clean it all up and run some dye through it.

Sucks to hear this. I think the rebuild price is high. I have a thread started asking for recommendations for upgraded transmissions, since mine is on the way too. I was looking at these: https://cahallperformancetrans.com

I’m looking at the performance trans and I think it’s very reasonable @ $1200+ core, etc.. also would need a torque converter.
Most of the responses in my thread were referencing upgrading to a different model transmission, like a 6L80E, which would be great, but I don’t think I’ll be spending that much to convert it. It would also need a separate computer I believe, and more into it than I want to think about. Another option I’m looking into is a 4L70E conversion, which I believe should be almost plug n play. If so that’s a no brainer, as it’s rated quite a bit higher HP / TQ numbers from the factory.

ETA: Just spoke with Cahall and they informed me they would be able to match the strength of the 4L70E into my 4L60E, so no real conversion necessary, just stronger components to get it there. I do not believe this would include the 5 pinion planetaries, so not sure if that would be worth upgrading to the 4L70 or not. More research to do. Also a couple billet parts are recommended, since our trucks weigh so much, so that bumps the cost up. So far though I’m pretty happy with what I’m hearing. I’ve got to figure a rough estimate for my HP when it’s all done, to have an idea what to plan for. May end up with the pro-race, rather than the performance transmission. Significant cost difference.

ETA2: from the Cahall site:

*Any vehicle using any power adder, is over 400 RWHP, is over 4000 LBS, or is using drag radials or slicks MUST be equipped with the additional billet steel output shaft @ $450 and billet input reaction shaft @ $300

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz