Sound of DEATH (Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Spoke to the owner of the shop this morning and he said he took it out for a test drive and agreed it definitely should not be driving like that. Said he’d get it up on the hoist, run a pressure test and give me a call

He just called now and said his mechanic thinks there could be a hairline crack in the drum or one of the seals may have got nicked when putting back together. He said their as small as rubber bands so he said they are going to have to pull the trans back out

I asked about the 5 pinion planetary again and he said they usually come from the factory with trucks with tow package and that their a little more beefed up. I told him i talked to a few people that had their trans rebuilt and that they used the upgraded 5 pinion and that I’d rather have a beefed up one. He said he’d price it out and said it will be a little higher in price. He said he wasn’t sure how much but he’d call on it tomorrow. Again he said though that’s not the reason that this planetary cracked, that if I had the 5 in on the last time it still would have cracked

I don’t tow or off-road, u guys think I should go for the 5 pinion? Even if it’s just a bit tougher id do it. Might as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Know what sux--he could say he put the upgraded planetaries in--but not--and say he did, and charge you for it. How would you know?

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Know what sux--he could say he put the upgraded planetaries in--but not--and say he did, and charge you for it. How would you know?

Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote this post and I figured out of my inconvenience he might of put it in at no charge because he said he can send the 4 pinion back to his dealer. Maybe I should just tell him forget about it? I’m going to see what he even says the price difference will be

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote this post and I figured out of my inconvenience he might of put it in at no charge because he said he can send the 4 pinion back to his dealer. Maybe I should just tell him forget about it? I’m going to see what he even says the price difference will be

The fact that the guy is doing the stand-up thing and putting it back on the lift without giving you much hassle, I would be fairly confident that if he says he's going to put a 5 pinion in, he will actually put it in.

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: shop owner just called and said they were getting to begin to remove the transmission when his mechanic decided to check the EPC-electronic pressure control and found that to be defective. He said it was not in proper range and the ohms were off and I think he said not allowing second gear to release and causing the delay into third. Anyways he said he took it for a long ride and drove it hard and it shifted perfect every time.

From a quick search this is what I read (If left unrepaired, the slipping will ruin (burn or fry) the friction clutches and bands causing transmission failure. A problem with the transmission pressure control solenoid can cause the check engine light to illuminate with little to no other symptoms.)

I occasionally had this problem before the planetary cracked. I knew something wasn’t right with the trans but it didn’t do this all the time. I wonder if this had had been replaced that maybe the planetary wouldn’t crack? Or does this mainly have to do with the clutches ?

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing they checked the EPC before removal (would of been stupid not too). That is a lot of work just to find out you didn't even need to remove it. I never even heard of this EPC (Electronic Pile of Crap).

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing they checked the EPC before removal (would of been stupid not too). That is a lot of work just to find out you didn't even need to remove it. I never even heard of this EPC (Electronic Pile of Crap).

Lmao [emoji23]. I drove it to work today and it’s shifting like it should now. I still wonder if this could have been the cause of failure to the planetary. I asked a mechanic a long ago why he thought it was shifting like that and he said shifter cable. Take it to 10 different mechanics and you’ll get 10 different answers. Smh

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844