2017 Suburban Transmission - Early Death!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechRev

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just posting here as a resource for others. Disappointing news this week regarding my 2017 Suburban. Transmission is needing complete replacement at only 126K. I first noticed when shifting was hard in the lower gears. Then, the most noticeable issue was a whining noise and slipping around 5th-6th gear. I took it into local dealership (trustworthy) and it was toast. Price on new one is $6,500 including parts and labor. This new one will have 3 yr /100K warranty. I definitely didn't anticipate transmission issues with so few miles (for a burb). Real bummer, not a fan!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just posting here as a resource for others. Disappointing news this week regarding my 2017 Suburban. Transmission is needing complete replacement at only 126K. I first noticed when shifting was hard in the lower gears. Then, the most noticeable issue was a whining noise and slipping around 5th-6th gear. I took it into local dealership (trustworthy) and it was toast. Price on new one is $6,500 including parts and labor. This new one will have 3 yr /100K warranty. I definitely didn't anticipate transmission issues with so few miles (for a burb). Real bummer, not a fan!
not excatly early, the 6l80's are well known to start having issue's around 120k torque converter goes out, it is the weak spot when it goes it takes the pump with it and the bellhousing, check balls shrink, clutches wear out, some parts develop cracks. find a good shop and have it rebuilt properly with all the known fixes.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the fluid and or filters ever replaced? What temperature did your trans run at?
changing the fluid and filter can certainly help, the 100k rating that gm gives is a farce at best, nearly every single used one we looked at recently had dirty brown burnt fluid. I always recomend annual fluid change and no more than 40k intervals

15burban

Reaction score
changing the fluid and filter can certainly help, the 100k rating that gm gives is a farce at best, nearly every single used one we looked at recently had dirty brown burnt fluid. I always recomend annual fluid change and no more than 40k intervals
Couldn't agree with you more. I change the atf every year on my truck (16 ram 2500) and this 15 suburban we just got will get the same treatment. I also deleted the thermostat since in my opinion 195 is a little high for a transmission even with changing the fluid every year.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It probably started with the torque converter. The 6 and 8 speed should have the TC done as preventice maintenance if you ask me. Because its a guarantee that its going. Recently saw a few 10 speed Tc issues but nothing compared to 6 and 8 speeds. But if not caught it takes out the trans. I do 30-40K trans fluid and filter changes and have never had an issue. My brother does 50-60 and has to do a trans at 135K on his suburban??? Not scientific, but enough reason to bust my brothers chops about it!

blondie70

Reaction score
Where is the thermostat in the trans ? I just changed my filter but had no idea the trans had a t-stat. Wudda yanked it out if I could have.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just posting here as a resource for others. Disappointing news this week regarding my 2017 Suburban.
Transmission is needing complete replacement at only 126K. I first noticed when shifting was hard in the lower gears.
Then, the most noticeable issue was a whining noise and slipping around 5th-6th gear. I took it into local dealership (trustworthy) and it was toast.
Price on new one is $6,500 including parts and labor. This new one will have 3 yr /100K warranty.
I definitely didn't anticipate transmission issues with so few miles (for a burb). Real bummer, not a fan!
How often did you change your ATF & ATF filter?
GM's recommendations are not often enough.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sucks, sorry to hear but the 6Ls crapping the bed at that mileage is not umcommon. 3-5-R clutch drum leakage and subsequent clutch burn-up is the likely culprit, as usual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019