Sound of DEATH (Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Tahoe z71 4wd
183k miles
Purchased October, 2017 with 149,500 miles
Prior owner had transmission rebuilt I think 3 years ago. I’d have to look at the paper work. Warranty is over

This is a thread I created a few months ago https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/intermittent-transmission-issue.115094/

ever since then I haven’t been driving the truck much since I have a leased vehicle I’ve been driving but for the last 5 days I’ve been been driving it to work and back (60 miles)

also since I created that last thread I was about a quart low on trans fluid and the problem disappeared but probably by coincidence.

The truck has been running normal for this past week except a few days ago when i was almost home from work I came to a light and the trans made a funny jerk like feel when coming to a stop. I was thinking ohh shit but continued driving normal after that and the next few days

Tonight was raining a lot and I drove about 23 miles of the way home and when I came to a light I felt the jerk like feel and a loud noise so I pulled into a lot and when putting it into reverse there was a crazy grinding noise or maybe more like cutting metal with a circular saw. I probably shouldn’t of left that lot but I was curious as to what it would do in drive even though I was scared it was going to blow so I drive it a few more blocks anyways even though I know I shouldn’t have and possibly caused further damage unless there’s no further damage that can be done since it’s doomed. I felt like it was going so stop moving any second and if I pressed any more gas something would have happened

Part 1 and part 2 are when putting in reverse and the rest while driving.

I’m going to have it towed to a transmission shop. Thoughts? Whole transmission need rebuild, torque converter? It’s been a series of unrelated problems with this truck.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Tahoe z71 4wd
183k miles
Purchased October, 2017 with 149,500 miles
Prior owner had transmission rebuilt I think 3 years ago. I’d have to look at the paper work. Warranty is over

This is a thread I created a few months ago https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/intermittent-transmission-issue.115094/

ever since then I haven’t been driving the truck much since I have a leased vehicle I’ve been driving but for the last 5 days I’ve been been driving it to work and back (60 miles)

also since I created that last thread I was about a quart low on trans fluid and the problem disappeared but probably by coincidence.

The truck has been running normal for this past week except a few days ago when i was almost home from work I came to a light and the trans made a funny jerk like feel when coming to a stop. I was thinking ohh shit but continued driving normal after that and the next few days

Tonight was raining a lot and I drove about 23 miles of the way home and when I came to a light I felt the jerk like feel and a loud noise so I pulled into a lot and when putting it into reverse there was a crazy grinding noise or maybe more like cutting metal with a circular saw. I probably shouldn’t of left that lot but I was curious as to what it would do in drive even though I was scared it was going to blow so I drive it a few more blocks anyways even though I know I shouldn’t have and possibly caused further damage unless there’s no further damage that can be done since it’s doomed. I felt like it was going so stop moving any second and if I pressed any more gas something would have happened

Part 1 and part 2 are when putting in reverse and the rest while driving.

I’m going to have it towed to a transmission shop. Thoughts? Whole engine need rebuild, torque converter? It’s been a series of unrelated problems with this truck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-OaDYDIWc

I looked in my shop manual for your transmission and it says for a buzz sounds to check the transmission cooler pipes at the radiator for binding and to watch for a pressure buzz by hooking up a gauge to the transmission. The other symptom mentioned that sounds close is a ratcheting sound and this has to do with the parking pawl and parking lot actuator assembly.

Subscribe to AllDataDIY for the manual and troubleshooting guide. Could be something relatively simple, or not.

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

The only trouble codes I’ve had checked were at advanced auto and coming up for something to do with my cats being removed. Not sure how advanced their diagnostic tool is though. I know it doesn’t check for everything. I’ve never had the transmission scanned if that’s possible, if it is I probably should have because now without me being there they can tell me anything

It’s about to be picked up from a parking lot to be towed to a transmission shop so I should have an update soon but I’d still like opinions

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

The only trouble codes I’ve had checked were at advanced auto and coming up for something to do with my cats being removed. Not sure how advanced their diagnostic tool is though. I know it doesn’t check for everything. I’ve never had the transmission scanned if that’s possible, if it is I probably should have because now without me being there they can tell me anything

It’s about to be picked up from a parking lot to be towed to a transmission shop so I should have an update soon but I’d still like opinions

The prognosis will be, "it's shot, totally blown up, needs replacin' for $9999.99...

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The prognosis will be, "it's shot, totally blown up, needs replacin' for $9999.99...

I’m sure no matter what it is that’s what they will tell me. Mechanics and heating and cooling guys can never be trusted with the exception of very few. Just like a different thread I had posted about engine noise. Two shops had told me that my engine was ready to blow and not to be driven but it ended up being the honeycomb in the catalytic converter came apart and was rattling. They were trying to replace my engine when it was just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure no matter what it is that’s what they will tell me. Mechanics and heating and cooling guys can never be trusted with the exception of very few. Just like a different thread I had posted about engine noise. Two shops had told me that my engine was ready to blow and not to be driven but it ended up being the honeycomb in the catalytic converter came apart and was rattling. They were trying to replace my engine when it was just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's how I got started turning wrenches. Mechanic was trying to keep me from driving my car, sixteen at the time, came back with a show of force, paid the ransom and left with it. Too bad you can't get a Tech-2 on it before it goes in.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They can say anything they want about needing a trans replaced but they should give you details as to why the trans needs replaced. You should ask for, and get, detailed tests ran and the results of those tests. You should also take that info, write it all down if need be or get a printout from the shop-if they can be trusted they should comply, and bring it here and tell us what they said. We tend to think things/results thru and come to a conclusion instead of just the line like the shop says, "all bad-must be replaced". Chances are that someone here has experienced what you have and seen the same test results and can put your mind at ease with the decision. Think of it this way, an hour or two here can save you maybe $500 during that time and more if you need more info here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e