Sorry if answered, but WHY is my Tahoe more sluggish than older Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sniper_x

Reaction score
So I have had a 2007 Yukon for years and taken pristine care of it.

The Yukon is 2wd, 5.3.

I just bought a 2013 Tahoe LT

It has 4h/l, trailer brake package and infotainment & sunroof.

Now when I say my Yukon is peppier, I mean, the Tahoe is sluggish enough that my passenger noticed how much “smoother and comfortable” the ride is.

Further questions revealed that the Yukon acceleration was more abrupt but the Tahoe is smoother and not so aggressive in acceleration.

Now I know the Tahoe is heavier by 400 lbs, but what else could cause this?

Note: the Tahoe has no hesitation, no misfire and no codes of any kind.

It runs beautifully.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have had a 2007 Yukon for years and taken pristine care of it.

The Yukon is 2wd, 5.3.

I just bought a 2013 Tahoe LT

It has 4h/l, trailer brake package and infotainment & sunroof.

Now when I say my Yukon is peppier, I mean, the Tahoe is sluggish enough that my passenger noticed how much “smoother and comfortable” the ride is.

Further questions revealed that the Yukon acceleration was more abrupt but the Tahoe is smoother and not so aggressive in acceleration.

Now I know the Tahoe is heavier by 400 lbs, but what else could cause this?

Note: the Tahoe has no hesitation, no misfire and no codes of any kind.

It runs beautifully.
as already mentioned probably gear ratio, post up a picture of the rpo code list in the glove box of both vehicles, it's a list of alpha numeric codes on the glove box door.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torque Management. Get the Tahoe tuned by BlackBear and enjoy the improved transmission performance and giddy up!

The Tahoe with 3.42s outperforms the Yukon even with 3.73s because of the gearing in the 6-speed transmission.

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
as already mentioned probably gear ratio, post up a picture of the rpo code list in the glove box of both vehicles, it's a list of alpha numeric codes on the glove box door.

Sorry it took so long but... life.

Here they are attached

Attachments

• IMG_4629.jpg
    IMG_4629.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4633.jpg
    IMG_4633.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 6

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long but... life.

Here they are attached
The Tahoe's overall gearing is vastly lower than the Yukon.

There is a difference between the two engines besides torque management. I don't think it is enough of a difference to feel it though. Why don't you weigh both trucks and make some runs at your local dragstrip? Then you can see how much horsepower each is putting down to the pavement with a simple math formula.

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
The Tahoe's overall gearing is vastly lower than the Yukon.

There is a difference between the two engines besides torque management. I don't think it is enough of a difference to feel it though. Why don't you weigh both trucks and make some runs at your local dragstrip? Then you can see how much horsepower each is putting down to the pavement with a simple math formula.

So, there is absolutely enough of a difference off the line to feel it.

comparing the Tahoe and Yukon door labels, the Tahoe is listed as 400 lbs heavier.

I will have to complete my refurbishment work on the Tahoe and then start upgrading drivetrain, brakes and suspension as planned to see if that makes it more “peppy” than the Yukon.

I’m considering a few things that includes a black bear tune at some point.

For now, the extra 400 lbs and the higher gear ratio, coupled with the bad shocks is likely the reason I feel this difference.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, there is absolutely enough of a difference off the line to feel it.

comparing the Tahoe and Yukon door labels, the Tahoe is listed as 400 lbs heavier.

I will have to complete my refurbishment work on the Tahoe and then start upgrading drivetrain, brakes and suspension as planned to see if that makes it more “peppy” than the Yukon.

I’m considering a few things that includes a black bear tune at some point.

For now, the extra 400 lbs and the higher gear ratio, coupled with the bad shocks is likely the reason I feel this difference.
It's torque management and that extra 400 pounds. BlackBear tune will remove that TM, or most of it, and put more power to the ground.

It's not the gearing:

1663797919206.png1663797955691.png

The Yellow boxes are the effective ratios when combining the transmission and axle ratio and as you can see, the 6-speed 3.42 combination smokes the 4-speed and 3.73s.

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
It's torque management and that extra 400 pounds. BlackBear tune will remove that TM, or most of it, and put more power to the ground.

It's not the gearing:

View attachment 381074View attachment 381075

The Yellow boxes are the effective ratios when combining the transmission and axle ratio and as you can see, the 6-speed 3.42 combination smokes the 4-speed and 3.73s.
I'll have to take your word on the gearing, because you clearly know more than I about these things.

I DO plan on getting a BB tune though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17