I just spent a week in a new 2019 Tahoe LT and compared it to my new Yukon SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a New (Yes New with only 500 miles in April) 2017 Yukon SLT. My wife and I just spent a week in Las Vegas and rented a car. Much to my surprise they upgraded us to a Brand new 2019 Tahoe LT with 2 miles. This really made my day as I really don’t like the Explorer we had reserved. I really had some time to compare the difference between the 2017 Yukon and the 2019 Tahoe.

Interior: The first thing I noticed was that the seats are softer and have more give than the Yukon. But I am thinking my 2015 Silverado felt the same and after a few years the seemed to lack support. The Tahoe does not come standard with the Cooled Drivers and Passengers seat either. This rental had the bucket seats in the second row. (That is one of the reasons I stayed with a STL instead of a Denali, I want the bench seat.) Navigation and radio seemed the same. I did get to enjoy the Sirius radio for only 2 days before they shut it off.

Exterior: What Can I say? Both were Black and new. I have to show my Bias. The Tahoe grill, Ugh! The finish and fit were both comparable.

Driving impression: The throttle response was not as sensitive as my Yukon. It was just a bit smoother as the Yukon was touchy just at the start. Steering was smooth and it felt like the computer assisted steering was toned down a bit and not as twitchy like my Yukon. Brakes were very similar. Overall the ride was good quiet and stabile not overly harsh. The highways in Las Vegas are incredibly smooth and therefor quiet. I put almost 600 miles on it and averaged 17 mpg. I actually get 20-23 mpg with my Yukon but it is mostly on the highway. The Tahoe was just a great comfortable vehicle for cruising.

Overall it was fun to compare the two very similar vehicles. Really the difference was minimal and both drive great. I actually had to look at the steering wheel to tell the difference.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I think this is funny because they’re literally the exact same vehicle with almost the exact same options

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the seat thing always gets me :) there all the same......no difference between the Tahoe or the escalade only the cover or colors

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the seat thing always gets me :) there all the same......no difference between the Tahoe or the escalade only the cover or colors

I beg to differ on the Tahoe/escalade comparison. I would agree if you said Tahoe/Yukon. Escalade interior is much nicer, Gauges are full digital, and it has more power with magnetic ride control standard on all models.

But I will say I got to compare my 2017 Escalade to the updated 2018 model, and though interior looked ALMOST exactly the same (memory seat buttons are moved), The 10 speed tranny made the car feel A LOT quicker than my 8 speed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ on the Tahoe/escalade comparison. I would agree if you said Tahoe/Yukon. Escalade interior is much nicer, Gauges are full digital, and it has more power with magnetic ride control standard on all models.

But I will say I got to compare my 2017 Escalade to the updated 2018 model, and though interior looked ALMOST exactly the same (memory seat buttons are moved), The 10 speed tranny made the car feel A LOT quicker than my 8 speed.
I was referring to the seats specifically, if you ripped one or damaged one the replacement part (cushion) is the same number across the entire platform. yes there is some nicer trim levels but the cushions are all the same

MidnightRider

Reaction score
I’ll bet it was fun to compare the two. Apparently the LT you drove had the luxury package which is really close to the former LTZ trim level, only missing the cooled seats, adaptive cruise, some chrome and Heads up display. I am sure there are some more features that I don’t remember. Oh yeah the auto suspension ( can’t remember name).

Yes, the LT grill leaves a lot to be desired. I got the chrome honeycomb version.

I didn’t test drive a Yukon when shopping but would expect the ride and drive to be the same but dependent on the tires and wheel size. The Tahoe I have had 20’s and is a dream to drive especially on long trips.

I have only driven the 8 speed which I also have in my Silverado with no complaints but hear the difference is significant. Incidentally, my pickup is an 08 with the same 5.3 and it is amazing how much more power the new Tahoe has. Even my 14 year old son immediately noticed on his first drive to the cul-de-sac. He is actually scared of the power it has.

I find the lane assist to be spot on but took some getting used to. It is alarming how often it catches me drifting. Also noteworthy are the intellibeams and rainsense which both work spot on but are not mentioned here often. Maybe I am just behind with the technology of today.

All that being said, the Tahoe I have which is the same vehicle as the Yukon is by far the best all around (and most expensive!) vehicle I have ever owned. I would buy it again but hope to someday upgrade to a Tesla. Nothing else is on my list.

Hope this wasn’t boring. Too much negativity here concerning these trucks and I expect the new one to last as long and well as my former 02 Tahoe. GM products are still top notch to me.

OP
OP
Fatrusty

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was fun to compare the two vehicles. Again they are almost identical. With that being said I am happy and if you wanted to upgrade to a newer model,from a 17 to a 19 I would save your money. There was really no difference going down the road.

The seat thing.. I don't know what to say. My Yukon seats are firmer. I noticed it as soon as I planted my bony butt in there. Maybe it was just the difference with the cooled seats.

Overall I love the Yukon/Tahoe. Great vehicle.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMC exists as a badge-engineer on Chevy trucks. You get a slightly different sheet metal look here and there, otherwise it's the same vehicle. That is the model; if GM went too far on unique parts for GMC trucks, it would cease to make economic sense.

This was GM's stock and trade for a long time. Think "Cutlass/Regal/Monte Carlo." "Camaro/Firebird." "Grand Am/Calais/Achieva." GMC might now be the last domestic badge-engineering nameplate; the closest might be Lincoln, though the number of parts different between a Lincoln and its Ford equivalent I suspect would be much greater. Cadillac has cars not available from any other GM company, so it's different.

In the last few years, GM has made a little more effort to differentiate GMC by giving it exclusivity on some options. But, for something as subtle as seat cushion firmness to be GMC-unique would break the economics of the model they have going over there. It's highly unlikely.

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the seats...I do believe 17 and 19 are the same but I will say the seat cushion did change from 16 to 17 with the 17+ being softer.

It's funny you mention the throttle response as our 17 suburban premier seems to have much better throttle response than our previous 15 Yukon XL SLT.

I don't know if we had flawed shocks/struts with our 15 yukon but the suburban with mag suspension and 22s has a better ride than our 15 Yukon XL ever did.

Another tidbit, and I frankly don't know why, but the Chevy version across all packages do no have laminated side glass where all GMC models do. Not sure if it makes much of a difference with cabin wind noise, but it is a strange deletion(especially the chevy premier pkg) when comparing the two platform versions.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the seats...I do believe 17 and 19 are the same but I will say the seat cushion did change from 16 to 17 with the 17+ being softer.
Now that I can believe. They might have changed suppliers, made a universal decision to soften the seat cushions, specified a different foam density, whatever. These are normal model year changes but would affect Tahoes and Yukons equally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907