Sometimes things are better when left alone.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick_Grff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I noticed the radiator water in my 99 Tahoe was looking dirty. So I drain it take out the thermostat and put therm cover back on. Hook my hose to the hot water and began flushing. Until the water ran clear. Put everything back together and filled it up. It was getting dark so I quit working on it. Next morning theres a puddle sure enough the radiator got a hole in it. I presume its from flushing all the rust out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, "looked dirty", meaning what color. If brown looking, you let go far too long before addressing the cooling system. I did notice that after the flush, you were gonna "put everything back together". Replace the thermostat when you do the radiator. Also, check the water pump weep hole for a stain. That may be close behind for failure. Hoses may be close too because they wear from the inside out. In other words, that dirty coolant eats from the inside out and the entire system is suspect.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd Radiator on my '97 GT. They all failed where the plastic end caps are swaged to the radiator core.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Klis