[SOLVED] Fast blinking after Turn Signal LED bulb swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The DRL bulb sockets tend to fry over time, so check the contacts inside and maybe bend them out a little. If the bulbs are LEDs, turn them 180° and reinstall; I believe they're polarity-sensitive.

To test the DRLs in daylight you can chock the wheels or set the parking brake, turn the ignition to run -- without starting the engine -- and put the shift lever in Drive.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two items you need for that:

Novita LM487 flasher
2x Aaron 50W 6ohm Load resistors (for brake/tail - cruise control won't work without them)

Cruise won't work without resistor or incandescent bulbs in the taillight?
That would explain why my cruise doesn't work anymore...

The only thing you really need to splice resistors in for is the LED brake lights if you want your cruise control to work.

So weirdly... I had to use a new relay box to solve a hyperflash issue after putting in new DRLs - I used this one:

BUT... I have no cruise control ONLY when my headlights are on. During the day, it works fine - as soon as I see my dashlights come on, indicating the decreasing light levels outside have activated my automatic headlights, the cruise stops working.

I do have LED taillights, but I had those for many years before I added the LED DRLs, and I know my cruise worked fine - again, assuming they have a resistor in the little box that mounts behind them. But why in the world would now my cruise stop working when headlights are on and DRLs are off? And is putting a resistor in the DRLs going to bring back my cruise?

I want to do the 4-on mod, but I definitely don't want to NEVER have cruise control!

David Staines

Reaction score
So weirdly... I had to use a new relay box to solve a hyperflash issue after putting in new DRLs - I used this one:

BUT... I have no cruise control ONLY when my headlights are on. During the day, it works fine - as soon as I see my dashlights come on, indicating the decreasing light levels outside have activated my automatic headlights, the cruise stops working.

I do have LED taillights, but I had those for many years before I added the LED DRLs, and I know my cruise worked fine - again, assuming they have a resistor in the little box that mounts behind them. But why in the world would now my cruise stop working when headlights are on and DRLs are off? And is putting a resistor in the DRLs going to bring back my cruise?

I want to do the 4-on mod, but I definitely don't want to NEVER have cruise control!
You should not have gotten a hyperflash issue from putting LEDs in the DRLs. That is a problem you get from swapping LEDs into the turn signals.

The weirdness of this leads me to think more along the lines of a grounding problem.

LED DRLs: No change needed - highly recommended as it will slow the deterioration of the sockets
LED Turn Signals: Hypeflash - Use LED relay to fix
LED Brake Lights: Resistors or you'll lose cruise

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the hyperflash from the LED DRLs - and I fixed that aspect with the flasher module. Maybe because these are an LED setup fo DRLs and turns, not just DRLs - it's the whole housing with LEDs for both.

The cruise issue did not happen when I put the rears in - that was like 2010. Didn't lose my cruise until 3-4 years ago? Maybe 2-3 years ago? I dunno. Like I said, maybe the LED tails have a built-in resistor module, I've heard some of them have that.

David Staines

Reaction score
Once you start throwing patches into the equation... all bets are off. The information I provided is for replacing lamps in the factory housings.

That said... if the whole tail light assembly is LED, you might be onto something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros