SOLVED - Anyone know of a Hard-Wired Trailer Brake solution for a 2023 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c21ban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a new ’23 Tahoe that we purchased as we needed a tow vehicle for a horse trailer. Max Trailer option has been on constraint as most know but figured not a huge deal as we could install the Curt controller as you could on MY 21/22.

However, it doesn’t work on the ‘23 as of now as the ecu apparently is a little different and no longer compatible. Only the removable Curt Bluetooth controller will work for now.

Wife says no way as she wants a hard-wired system.

Anyone know of any brake controller that will work that works for a 2023?

Attachments

• 1FD7DEA6-2241-4D2D-8D84-2E6CA311CBA2.jpeg
    1FD7DEA6-2241-4D2D-8D84-2E6CA311CBA2.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 7

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, hardwire only. Don't have a solution, but did you call Curt as they may have it coming out shortly. They are usually pretty quick to the market issues.

OP
OP
C

c21ban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree, hardwire only. Don't have a solution, but did you call Curt as they may have it coming out shortly. They are usually pretty quick to the market issues.
I have emailed but will call Monday as their support is closed on the weekend. Hopefully they will come up with a solution shortly and appreciate the reply

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a new ’23 Tahoe that we purchased as we needed a tow vehicle for a horse trailer. Max Trailer option has been on constraint as most know but figured not a huge deal as we could install the Curt controller as you could on MY 21/22.

However, it doesn’t work on the ‘23 as of now as the ecu apparently is a little different and no longer compatible. Only the removable Curt Bluetooth controller will work for now.

Wife says no way as she wants a hard-wired system.

Anyone know of any brake controller that will work that works for a 2023?
I'm skeptical of this. The only connections a brake controller needs are positive, negative, brake pedal switch, and brake wire to the trailer connector. The truck's onboard computers don't have anything to do with it. As long as the wires are there, and I'll bet they are, then you should be good to go. Brake proportioning is handled by an accelerometer in the controller itself. My guess is that they just haven't had a chance to test with a 2023.

1663709993018.png

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the above, it should even come with a pigtail harness (and instructions) to connect to a third party controller and then just plug in under the dash.

cdavison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can confirm the Curt Spectrum 51170 does not work in a 2023 Yukon XL. You would think 4 wires color coded connected to 4 wires should be a no brainer but once connected the vehicle brake lights turn on and stay on until you pull the 40 amp trailer brake fuse under the hood #63. I have not been able to test hooked up to a trailer to see if the controller is actually sending a brake signal when the lights are on or works without this fuse connected. The controller is still powered and receiving brake signals with the fuse removed so it must be another wire and fuse getting its power because every time you hit the brakes the blue light comes on on the controller knob signifying there is no trailer connected. Just got off the phone with Curt and they had no idea and said they have not tested with a 23' so they had no solution or ideas. I am going to test other fuse numbers tonight to see which one sends power to the controller, I'm thinking 74 or 82, not sure what 44 might be.

Attachments

• 23_GMC_Yukon_Yukon_Denali_OM_en_US_U_16417394A_2022MAY13.pdf
    158.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

cdavison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Scratch this. I can now confirm that I am an idiot. Red white blue and black do not match up with GM’s red white blue and black. Once I swapped the black and red wires to what they should actually have been it works just fine. Blue matches with blue, white matches with white, curt black (battery) goes to GM red, and curt red goes to GM white/blue which is the brake signal.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scratch this. I can now confirm that I am an idiot. Red white blue and black do not match up with GM’s red white blue and black. Once I swapped the black and red wires to what they should actually have been it works just fine. Blue matches with blue, white matches with white, curt black (battery) goes to GM red, and curt red goes to GM white/blue which is the brake signal.
You're not an idiot when you're doing stuff that's new to you and learning from it. Sounds pretty smart to me. And thanks for following up with the solution - glad you found a way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011