So i bought a yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

roachbug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just thought I would post some updates.....it is a southern truck. Minimal rust but the top and hood are beginning to rust. That will be addressed eventually.

I have installed a new double din head unit with wireless android auto, a skar mono block amp and skar 8" ported loaded enclosure. New Kenwood front door speakers as well. The lil sub truly blew me away. More than I ever expected.
20230609_131908.jpg20230609_131813.jpg
I had to replace the a/c compressor as it was the culprit for my leak and I also change the high and low side valves (replace the high side with a schrader valve unit), pulled a vacuum and charged it. It will freeze you out now!

I had to replace the fuel pump and I changed out the filter.

Installed some patagonia m/t's as this is gonna be a camping rig for my adventures on the national forest as well. Put a set of heavy duty seat covers on it too.
20230609_131825.jpg20230609_131939.jpg

Next order of business is going to be a steering rebuild and shock all around. I have been looking at some kits. The moog kit seems to be a good buy but there are some mixed reviews. So, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would post some updates.....it is a southern truck. Minimal rust but the top and hood are beginning to rust. That will be addressed eventually.

I have installed a new double din head unit with wireless android auto, a skar mono block amp and skar 8" ported loaded enclosure. New Kenwood front door speakers as well. The lil sub truly blew me away. More than I ever expected.
View attachment 401487
What size is that "lil sub"? Have an amp driving it? Have a link you can share?

OP
OP
R

roachbug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What size is that "lil sub"? Have an amp driving it? Have a link you can share?

Skar SDR-1X8D2 8" loaded enclosure.​

I bought it off Amazon. It's still priced at $110 right now. I highly recommend it. Small form factor with big performance!

The amp is a Skar 350.1d mono block
I already had the amp from a previous vehicle but it is reasonably priced as well.

The sub comes pre-wired for a 1 ohm load and I am running it on the amp in bridged configuration. The amp is 1 ohm stable.

I went ahead and ran 4 gauge wire in case I wanted to upgrade later but I now see no need, it is honestly more bass than I want.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next order of business is going to be a steering rebuild and shock all around. I have been looking at some kits. The moog kit seems to be a good buy but there are some mixed reviews. So, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moog’s “problem solver” line is usually a good bet. I think they sell a budget line as well (R-line maybe?) but I’d not try to scrimp in suspension and steering.

I’d really suggest skipping the parts store reman steering gearboxes if you’re getting that far into it. Redhead and Bluetop tend to get them “more right” the first time and are rebuilt out west somewhere. Any reman from a parts store (even Delco) comes from overseas and is a complete gamble. There are now companies that sell completely new Saginaw boxes but I’ve no experience with them.

Bilstein 4600 shocks are a good choice - they were stock if your Tahoe came with the Z71 code on the glovebox label. I’ve run them for years on my 98 models without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons