Smoother Denali ride??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

OilfieldTrash78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out the Magneride system. It's been replaced twice on my '15 Denali. The first time, they would no longer stiffen. My daughter said "I feel like a bobble head in here". Dealer replaced them under the extended warranty. The next time two of them locked, it was like riding in a radio flyer with no suspension at all. Also replaced under extended warranty. :)
I had the suspension checked by the dealer, and they said it is working correctly

mpgmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got an '18 Yukon XL Denali, which has the denali prem package, which includes 22" wheels. I feel like the ride is significantly worse than my '15, which was the same model, except it has 20" rims. I didn't think 2" of rim would make that much of a difference. Am I crazy?

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got an '18 Yukon XL Denali, which has the denali prem package, which includes 22" wheels. I feel like the ride is significantly worse than my '15, which was the same model, except it has 20" rims. I didn't think 2" of rim would make that much of a difference. Am I crazy?
Yes. There’s still enough sidewall that 2” would not make that big of a difference. And there have been suspension tweaks since 15. Have you checked your psi?

OP
OP
O

OilfieldTrash78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What psi is everyone running? Mine is 35 cold, but it goes up to about 38 in the heat

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not at all! The sidewall height greatly affects the ride and those 22" have a 45% sidewall height. That's a significant difference compared to the 55% for the 20" wheel. The sidewall's purpose (one of many) is to absorb impacts from the road and provide a nice ride. The lower the profile, the more rigid the sidewall which affects how much of the road it can absorb, not so much compared with the 20s.

K2 Suburban with 275-55-20 has 35 PSI front and rear rating.

This is the chief reason why I'm perfectly happy with my 17" wheels!

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going from 55% to 45% isn’t going to make a huge difference. You’re definitely not going to feel much more. I’ve driven both and they felt the same.

I’m running 35psi cold too. But I’m on the stock highway tire. Idk about AT tires...

dmad1

Reaction score
My '17 LT has the "Soft Ride Suspension" pkg on it and I think it rides harsh. Not near as smooth as the '12 we traded in.

Adam10532

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out the Magneride system. It's been replaced twice on my '15 Denali. The first time, they would no longer stiffen. My daughter said "I feel like a bobble head in here". Dealer replaced them under the extended warranty. The next time two of them locked, it was like riding in a radio flyer with no suspension at all. Also replaced under extended warranty. :)
Other than the feeling that when the Magnetic Ride went out , did a check engine light or a code come up?

Adam10532

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the feeling that when the Magnetic Ride went out , did a check engine light or a code come up?
I'm sorry the questions are a little vague how did you know it went out other than feeling did a code come up or dash light?

OP
OP
O

OilfieldTrash78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have bounced up and down on the back and the front, the front hardly moves, and the back bounced a bit. Can anyone show me a video of how much movement I should be getting out of the front?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu