Smog check fail and ac quit !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Registration is due, and so is smog, so I went to the 5 min In-and-out, drive-thru smog station. Couldn’t pass. I had just reset my P0455 and the computer knew it (didn’t have a “ drive cycle” I.e. 150 miles on it since. Grrr)

while waiting in line for over an hour with truck running and a/c on...all of a sudden there was a loud whine from under the hood! ( almost like the sound of a horn with a very weak battery)
The smog guy said... “ turn off your a/c”. I did and the noise went away. Turned the a/c on again... and bad noise returned! Shit!
So now I have an 03 Tahoe... unregistered , no smog...and now something wrong with the a/c... in the middle of a pandemic where I’m not allowed to work! WTF!

so even if I fix what’s wrong with the P-whatever code... I have to put 150 miles on it before getting it smogged! AND I have to fix the a/c!
Hope you guys are doing better than me!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Registration is due, and so is smog, so I went to the 5 min In-and-out, drive-thru smog station. Couldn’t pass. I had just reset my P0455 and the computer knew it (didn’t have a “ drive cycle” I.e. 150 miles on it since. Grrr)

while waiting in line for over an hour with truck running and a/c on...all of a sudden there was a loud whine from under the hood! ( almost like the sound of a horn with a very weak battery)
The smog guy said... “ turn off your a/c”. I did and the noise went away. Turned the a/c on again... and bad noise returned! Shit!
So now I have an 03 Tahoe... unregistered , no smog...and now something wrong with the a/c... in the middle of a pandemic where I’m not allowed to work! WTF!

so even if I fix what’s wrong with the P-whatever code... I have to put 150 miles on it before getting it smogged! AND I have to fix the a/c!
Hope you guys are doing better than me!
You won’t pass until you get your evap problem fixed (P0455 is an evap leak) Parts aren’t too expensive for that. Start with the gas cap and if that doesn’t fix it replace the evap vent solenoid and the evap purge solenoid one by one, clear the code after each part you replace until you don’t get that code returning. Who told you that you need to drive 150 miles? That shouldn’t be the case, just get the codes to clear and a drive cycle should be a half hour or so.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that code is for a large evap leak. so chances are you have a broken plastic line under the hood. or the filler neck has a vent line, they like to rust out and cause a leak. all of these things can be patched up for less then 10 bucks. vac line to patch a plastic hard line, or cut the rusted out vent line and patch with fuel line and a couple hose clamps.

OP
OP
Steve Waddington

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a complete P0455 “ kit”..., where you can buy all the parts that it could be causing the code?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a complete P0455 “ kit”..., where you can buy all the parts that it could be causing the code?
you made a mistake resetting the code since it will do a test every 1300 seconds
now without it,
it will be playing wack a mole trying to fix it

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smoke test is what you need if you cant see a busted line in the open.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
No. Even if you replace all the “parts” it still may do it. Mine had the line plugged with charcoal pellets cause the canister broke down. Had to remove the tank and blow all the lines out, replace the vent valve and canister. Some have had luck with a hand vac pump or blowing air into the lines. Check the purge valve on the intake, hopefully you dont see charcoal all the way up there. If not, probably just the vent valve next to the canister itself. It’s like 20 bucks.
If you can’t do this yourself, smoke test is probably the way to start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snackcake01