Smog check fail and ac quit !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that's exactly how I spent my day today! Ordered all 3 from Amazon...the ACDelco replacement parts.
Pretty easy job actually...except for the stubborn hose clamp tabs on the Vapor Canister Vent Valve (the one under the truck). Still, pretty quick and easy. And just enough clearance under the truck so that I didn't have to jack it up!! Yes!!

So...now I just have to put some miles on it and see if the CEL comes back on. Hopefully not. BTW, in taking off the old parts, I didn't see any debris or charcoal bits coming out of any lines, and no rust underneath anywhere. And I never had any 'slow-fill up' with the gas, so maybe the charcoal canister itself is ok?

Thanks for all the advice and help guys...greatly appreciated!!!
Hoping for the best. I was down that road for a long time, finally after replacing all 3 it was resolved.

OP
OP
Steve Waddington

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what a true “drive cycle” is? Now that I have these things replaced, I want to get my ‘hoe smog checked and registered. Problem is, with us on lockdown, and my industry eliminated for the foreseeable future, I really don’t have anywhere to go!

OP
OP
Steve Waddington

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the previous owner ever cleaned the motor. Until today, I actually thought the valve covers were black. A4376CC9-82F1-48F0-8A2E-7C04EA7D2E88.jpeg

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what a true “drive cycle” is? Now that I have these things replaced, I want to get my ‘hoe smog checked and registered. Problem is, with us on lockdown, and my industry eliminated for the foreseeable future, I really don’t have anywhere to go!

The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another). NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run. 1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge. 2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge. 3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge. 4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions. 5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at æ throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again. 6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions. 7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.
Enough miles of driving will put the vehicle in each of the required conditions, but doing it systematically may save time. More than one repetition of the cycle may be needed.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another). NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run. 1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge. 2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge. 3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge. 4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions. 5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at æ throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again. 6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions. 7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.
Enough miles of driving will put the vehicle in each of the required conditions, but doing it systematically may save time. More than one repetition of the cycle may be needed.
And I don’t know how or where a person is supposed to go from 55 to 20 by coasting without people thinking your cray cray on the highway and you might get rear ended. I always thought that part of it was ridiculous.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I don’t know how or where a person is supposed to go from 55 to 20 by coasting without people thinking your cray cray on the highway and you might get rear ended. I always thought that part of it was ridiculous.
Seriously, no way that would fly around here....

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s easy here in Iowa. Find a country road on a Sunday and slow down like all the farmers who are out looking at everyone else’s corn fields and doing 20 mph so they can get a good look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts