Sleeping inside your NBS

Have you slept in your vehicle, and what did you think of it?

• No, never.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Once or twice for some hours.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Planned for at least one full night.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Slept in the seats.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Slept in the cargo area.

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious for those who have slept inside your vehicle. The two biggest reasons I can think of would be for a road trip or camping. Maybe you chose that instead of the couch, that's none of our business. Maybe with your family for a few hours on your way, or a few days on your own.... Anyone care to share their thoughts and experience.. What made it horrible, or what were you missing. Curious if you just reclined or got the seats out and down in the cargo area to spread out.

Not sure if this belongs in a different section, but I didn't see one. Not trying to put this in every section. I'm going to make a slightly judgmental guess, and in an effort to not spam the board, I will put this only in the OBS and NBS sections.

Made the poll allow two options, Hoping someone can give an idea of how long, then where in the vehicle you slept.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread! I’ll play along! Haha. I bought my 2006 Denali xl in February of 2015. In September my mom went on a camping trip at a very nice state beach not too far south of Carlsbad, ca. A trip we had made often over the years. That particular summer I could get down to the trip for about a day and a half. It didn’t make sense to pack a whole tent for just one night time stay at the camp area and my moms tent wasnt really big enough for both of us. So I took the third row seat of my Denali and cleaned and the cargo area. I brought along my queen size air mattress and inflated it in the cargo area when I got there. It was a perfect spot for the overnight part of the trip. I was thoroughly comfortable. I had plenty of room and the truck kept me warm and dry in the damp beach air. I wouldn’t hesitate to use the back area to sleep in. My only complaint was that I couldnt open the rear hatch from the inside. Lol.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never slept in mine yet, but have in other vehicles. My experience is that you really want a flat area to lay that is at least 6ft. Some vehicles seats do not lay down flat, that makes it rough, but we are blessed in this department. Beyond that, moisture, temperature are always in issue. A small 12v fan helps if you can't leave windows down.

OP
OP
A

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the front seats will fully recline with an easy mod, and some times you want to be right in the drivers seat.

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
I camp regularly in my SUVs... currently in a 2016 burb but started with a 1997 S10 Blazer in the early 2000s and went through several 99-06 trucks and SUVs. That Blazer saw all of the National Parks and most of the State Parks in GA, TN, NC, and KY.

I just fold all the seats down, roll out the thermorest, and zip up in my sleeping bag. I carry a memory foam pillow and when it's below 0 I'll leave the burb running for heat nowadays... I'm not as hardcore as I used to be lol. Plenty of room for my 6'2" ass and a companion, haven't tried to bring the kids yet. I keep my head at the back of the drivers seat to keep it above my feet.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slept in many cars/trucks over the years. My girlfriend (now wife) and i did 2-3 weeks total in back of my ‘99 tahoe, a bunch more in the ‘01 then the kids came and thats all stopped now. Once, while driving out to TX from NY i was fast asleep and next thing i know im crumpled in a ball at the rear of the drivers seat then face planted against the back doors...she had to lock ‘em up because of something in the road then floored it to get back up to speed...all these years later i still see a smirk in her face when we talk about it... i think i was snoring too loud for her......lmfao

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slept in many cars/trucks over the years. My girlfriend (now wife) and i did 2-3 weeks total in back of my ‘99 tahoe, a bunch more in the ‘01 then the kids came and thats all stopped now. Once, while driving out to TX from NY i was fast asleep and next thing i know im crumpled in a ball at the rear of the drivers seat then face planted against the back doors...she had to lock ‘em up because of something in the road then floored it to get back up to speed...all these years later i still see a smirk in her face when we talk about it... i think i was snoring too loud for her......lmfao
You would be snoring..... lol

camaroz1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never slept in the Suburban, but did sleep in my Avalanche and my Silverado.

Slept in the Avalanche with the seat folded and midgate folded, so essentially the same space as a Suburban (just not as tall). Did that for a weekend when I was crewing at a race. Worked ok, but bought the tent for it for future race weekends when my wife went with. Definitely liked that much better. That provided slightly more room than what you would have in a Suburban/Yukon XL, but leads me to be confident the Suburban would be no problem for a couple nights for 1 or 2 people.

Slept across the backseat of the Silverado a couple nights when I bought it in TX and drove it back to PA. Did the same for another night when I drove to VA to buy the Suburban and towed it home. That was doable, but definitely not comfortable.

jose6326

Reaction score
i slept in my tahoe. took a trip to texas, cali, nevada and back to chicago.
i put down the rear right passenger side seat and cut out a piece of foam the width between the door and seat and the length from the back of the front passenger seat to the rear of the cargo area.

then put down a blanket and brought 2 pillows. i made it comfortable for my trip since i knew i would be making several stops

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Austinsham