Should I do a tune up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey gang, I was curios as to what the consensus here would be.

My 01 Tahoe with a 4.8l has 163k on the clock. I have receipts for 95% of the maintenance that has been conducted on it since my in-laws bought it new

There are some basic maintenance items am planning on doing, like belts and tensioners, an oil change, fuel filter (since it sat for 3 years), the basics stuff.

What I am wondering if I would need to do is a spark plug/wire tune up.

It runs fine, no misses, good throttle response, good power.

I am wondering if it would be worth the time to do this given currently there are no issues.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering it is at the 160k mark, I would look over everything on it 160k is a big maintenance schedule and is why people often dump vehicles around that mileage because they don't want to deal with it. Inspect all the belts and hose's, heater hose-t's on the firewall should be replaced, look for leaks everywhere. knock sensors typically will kick the bucket soon but don't mess with that until it happens, same with water pump, starter or alternator just typical things that will happen around that mileage, if 02 sensors have not been done do those. Drain and flush all fluids and keep an eye on it i.e. pop the hood often and do a visual until you are sure everything is solid that is going to go.
plug & wire interval is 100k so that depends on the last time they were done I like to do mine around 60k or so just because I drive my vehicles very hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons