Buying Used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GBF1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 2006 Yukon Denali has 194000 miles and though we've only needed to replace the torque converter, I can tell there will only be more expensive repairs on the horizon. Would like to get a 2020 or newer Escalade, or a 21 and newer Yukon Denali or an upgraded Tahoe. The 21 and newer Escalades are too expensive at the moment. I`m hesitating because of all the mechanical issues I see when reading the forum. This would be our 4th full size GM SUV, so we want to stay with them if possible. Appreciate any comments. We will most likely pull the trigger on something in the next 45 days. Thanks in advance!

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will always see issues on the forums. Doesn't matter - go to the Expedition forum - lots of issues. Go to the Wagoneer forum - LOTS of issues.

Before our Yukon we had a Honda Pilot, I joined the Pilot forum and immediately thought the Pilot was plagued with issues. "Lots of people" talking bout oil burning issues caused by the VCM (similar to AFM/DFM system). The reality is the "lots of people" is a fraction of a percent of the amount of rigs on the road. Most people don't join a forum to gloat about their trouble free rig.

That's not to say 21+ platform hasn't been without issues. 5.3/6.2 DFM lifter failures and 6.2 main bearings seem to be the biggest issues. OTA updates causing dead batteries is another one.

Look around, there's plenty of used ones available. Look into its service history and give it a good look over before you buy it. You'll probably be just fine and enjoy many miles with it.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2003 Suburban has 281,000 miles on it and still runs well, so you might consider the repair on your '06 and save yourself from paying a bunch for a new one. I did buy a new 2023 Denali in Oct and have had 0 issues with it so far, but I still drive the suburban about half of the time.

NothEastTahoe

Reaction score
You will always see issues on the forums. Doesn't matter - go to the Expedition forum - lots of issues. Go to the Wagoneer forum - LOTS of issues.

Before our Yukon we had a Honda Pilot, I joined the Pilot forum and immediately thought the Pilot was plagued with issues. "Lots of people" talking bout oil burning issues caused by the VCM (similar to AFM/DFM system). The reality is the "lots of people" is a fraction of a percent of the amount of rigs on the road. Most people don't join a forum to gloat about their trouble free rig.

That's not to say 21+ platform hasn't been without issues. 5.3/6.2 DFM lifter failures and 6.2 main bearings seem to be the biggest issues. OTA updates causing dead batteries is another one.

Look around, there's plenty of used ones available. Look into its service history and give it a good look over before you buy it. You'll probably be just fine and enjoy many miles with it.
"If you want to find a problem with your *insert anything* go online"

I agree with you, and might add, to look for a decent warranty like @StormTrooprSubZ71 said, for a few years to relieve any instant regret incase something slips past a pre-buy inspection.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2006 Yukon Denali has 194000 miles ... Would like to get a 2020 or newer Escalade, or a 21 and newer Yukon Denali or an upgraded Tahoe.
The '21 and newer Escalades are too expensive at the moment. I`m hesitating because of all the mechanical issues I see when reading the forum.
This would be our 4th full size GM SUV, so we want to stay with them if possible.
I'd keep my distance from the direct injected stuff.
Even if you've the good sense to disable or delete all that variable displacement horseschidt, you'll still have to deal with all that carbon buildup ...

I'd rather buy a GMT926 or GMT936 and fix it up REAL NICE ...
Which'll likely still cost more than fixing the problems your '06 Denali is about to have ...

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2006 Yukon Denali has 194000 miles and though we've only needed to replace the torque converter, I can tell there will only be more expensive repairs on the horizon. Would like to get a 2020 or newer Escalade, or a 21 and newer Yukon Denali or an upgraded Tahoe. The 21 and newer Escalades are too expensive at the moment. I`m hesitating because of all the mechanical issues I see when reading the forum. This would be our 4th full size GM SUV, so we want to stay with them if possible. Appreciate any comments. We will most likely pull the trigger on something in the next 45 days. Thanks in advance!
The 21+ mechanical issues are similar to the AFM issues of a few years back. Basically a "pick your poison" type of deal.

If you wanted to minimize your exposure to high repair costs I'd recommend the following:
- fewer options, fewer problems (get a Tahoe instead of an Escalade)
- skip the powered running boards and the air suspensions (not a matter of if, rather when)
- skip the diesels

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 21+ mechanical issues are similar to the AFM issues of a few years back. Basically a "pick your poison" type of deal.

If you wanted to minimize your exposure to high repair costs I'd recommend the following:
- fewer options, fewer problems (get a Tahoe instead of an Escalade)
- skip the powered running boards and the air suspensions (not a matter of if, rather when)
- skip the diesels
The diesel new generations are the most problem free and efficient. Air suspension works except some issues at -30.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what I’ve gleaned here on this site, there is a whole lot more basis in owning a diesel vs a gas model….

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesel new generations are the most problem free and efficient. Air suspension works except some issues at -30.
Based on my experience of owning multiple baby diesels (both eco & duramax), multiple large diesels (5.9, 6.7, ISM, ISX) and say 20 gas variants (bmw/ram/gm/jeep)

These 3.0 diesels are the most problematic engines available today, 100% hands down.
I've also had many air suspensions fail during warranty, hyper annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660