Shift lever replaced to obtain tow/haul button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
I just had the PPV shift lever replaced with one that has the tow/haul button. It had a small connector that was plugged in to the harness. When I press the button the tow/haul light does not come on on the dash. Any suggestions?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had the PPV shift lever replaced with one that has the tow/haul button. It had a small connector that was plugged in to the harness. When I press the button the tow/haul light does not come on on the dash. Any suggestions?
the tow haul button is a momentary switch, providing a momentary ground to the bcm
to confirm operation press the button, you should get a momentary ground to the corresponding pin on the bcm.
since it is a direct connection I don't think the key needs to be on to confirm physical operation.
you should be able to find the pin location with the gp upfitter guide.
other than that if it is confirmed working, then the key needs to be on for the tow/haul to engage
if you do not get the momentary ground then there is a break in the wire or connection between the button and bcm.
I have read of some the actual buttons being bad on the nnbs before (i think) so check that it is working between the button and wire on shifter stem also.

OP
OP
J

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
the tow haul button is a momentary switch, providing a momentary ground to the bcm
to confirm operation press the button, you should get a momentary ground to the corresponding pin on the bcm.
since it is a direct connection I don't think the key needs to be on to confirm physical operation.
you should be able to find the pin location with the gp upfitter guide.
other than that if it is confirmed working, then the key needs to be on for the tow/haul to engage
if you do not get the momentary ground then there is a break in the wire or connection between the button and bcm.
I have read of some the actual buttons being bad on the nnbs before (i think) so check that it is working between the button and wire on shifter stem also.
So this is a brand new one from the local Chevy dealer installed by a garage. So you think we need to unplug the connector and put an ohmmeter on the connector and press the button and see if the button closes the circuit?

OP
OP
J

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
Does it actually go into tow mode though? The easiest way to tell is the lane change turn signal. Instead of 3 blinks, you’ll get 6.
I don’t understand. If I turn on the turn signal it blinks until I turn it off.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
Did it have a tow button before? Just a hunch, maybe it needs to be turned on in the TCM.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-04 125031.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-04 125031.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
J

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
Did it have a tow button before? Just a hunch, maybe it needs to be turned on in the TCM.
It did not have a tow button. Most PPVs don’t have a tow button. I replaced the shift lever with one from the dealer that had a button and a connector and plugged in the connector. No tow light on the dash. It appears that it doesn’t have power.

OP
OP
J

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
It did not have a tow button. Most PPVs don’t have a tow button. I replaced the shift lever with one from the dealer that had a button and a connector and plugged in the connector. No tow light on the dash. It appears that it doesn’t have power.
How do I turn it on in the ECM?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is a brand new one from the local Chevy dealer installed by a garage. So you think we need to unplug the connector and put an ohmmeter on the connector and press the button and see if the button closes the circuit?
you only need to check it at the bcm pin. then if no go dig further
if it is sending the ground then it might be a programming thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019