SHAME ON GENERAL MOTORS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I just need a soap box right now. GM knows they have an issue with the 5.3 when it comes to oil consumption. Mine is a 2011 and soaks up a quart every 3,000-5,000 or so. During every oil change I clean the throttle body that will never rust due to the oil slick going on in there. Then I read that the culprit of 95% of the oil consumption could be the left side valve cover. So I research this and sure enough they have an updated cover that has the special deflector on the inside. So this morning prior to work I pop the hood to see if mine is the updated. I figure I can tell from the PCV tube as the one on the new valve cover is longer. I pop off the PCV tube and oil is dripping out. This is absolutely ridiculous, and in my mind unacceptable quality.

GM knows about this issue as their admission is the redesign of the inside of the cover. I called the dealer this morning and they want a small fortune just to replace it. Now tell me, if they know it's an issue and they obviously have had many concerns, enough so to redesign, why not issue a recall? Why not stand behind their product, and protect customer investments. It really feels like here guys thanks for buying your $50k-$60k truck, now if you want it to be the way it was designed you'll have to spend another $465 to replace the valve cover. This is the only option unless you want to carry a quart of Mobil 1 like you did in your 1982 Chevy Celebrity.

I am sorry but I think this is a more serious condition than they are making it out to be. This isn't an added feature that no one liked so they stopped adding it. This is a mechanical defect in their engine that they fixed in model year 2012. Then they left the rest of use to fend for ourselves. The least they could do is sell us the replacement part at their cost. But no, I'll travel to the dealer across town and pay $83.16 plus tax (rather than wait for eBay $55 because I am impatient) and put it in myself (which I can handle).

I know GM reads these from time to time so I just want you to know that I am not happy. I am not alone in this as many of my Tahoe brethren feel the same. Make it right, make us whole. A nice apology would be a great start. That part sells on GMPARTSDIRECT for $52 which means it costs about $20-$25 to produce down in Mexico, maybe less. Why must you make money off a revision that is a must fix? Put GM owners first for once, make us feel appreciated. There are lots of other car manufacturers out there, we chose you. Don't make us regret that decision.

END RANT!!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shareholders come first. Don't know if mine has the updated cover or not but oil consumption is only a problem when regularly spinning the motor past 3-3500 rpms. On the other hand, where does the oil go without that new cover? How did it get there in the first place?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn