Shakes at 70mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukonish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, my truck shakes pretty annoying like at 65-75mph. I have new tires (rebalanced 3 times...not sure if Wmart techs are trained right...2 equal weights directly across from each other?), new shocks, new brakes, new u-joints. Mechanic says nothing is grossly loose in the front end and steering box has "normal GM play". I'm thinking maybe driveshaft is the next thing to look at, maybe it got out of balance somehow? Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated, thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, my truck shakes pretty annoying like at 65-75mph. I have new tires (rebalanced 3 times...not sure if Wmart techs are trained right...2 equal weights directly across from each other?), new shocks, new brakes, new u-joints. Mechanic says nothing is grossly loose in the front end and steering box has "normal GM play". I'm thinking maybe driveshaft is the next thing to look at, maybe it got out of balance somehow? Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated, thanks!
what kind and size wheels are you using? a bent wheel can cause vibration, out balance drive shaft is more rare but possible, I would look at the u joints and ring & pinion, see if there is any play.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Where does it shake? Steering wheel? Seat of the pants? In the floor at the feet? At that speed it just shows up or does it make a difference on what road you are on? Started to have problem after new tires? makes a difference if move tires from front to rear?

972sparky

Reaction score
I had a 2008 Avalanche with the same vibration in that same speed range. Annoying as hell as that is where I liked to set the cruise on trips. Did the tire balance and rotations multiple times, wheel bearings, u-joints, none helped. Took it to a joint, clutch and driveshaft shop and they found the driveshaft bent only about .030”. Installed a new one and it fixed the vibration. Most if not all driveshafts (not torque tubes or half shafts) are thin walled aluminum tubes and do bend or twist easily.

OP
OP
Y

Yukonish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had the truck for like 3 years, it has always shaken and I thought it was the tires. Got new ones, they've been balanced and rotated and re-balanced. The whole dash and steering wheel shakes. Like I said, it's got new u-joints. Maybe I'll try and find a drive shaft place, or maybe just buy a new driveshaft and put it in myself?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With new tires, did you get aligned? If so, do you have the print out of the before and after readings you can post here. May have a caster shimmy. But, maybe is the driveshaft.
The driveshaft may be able to be saved and just needs balanced and they can measure runout to see if needs replaced.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do a good inspection of the front end. Do you have a floor jack and some jack stands? Idler arms are notorious to have play and not get greased, too much trouble to drop the frt. shield. ball joints are common to wear as are the upper control arm bushings. U-joints wear, driveshafts are usually fine until someone screws up when replacing u-joints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan