Shakedown run a success

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after swapping in motor from my Z71 Suburban that was rusted out into my newly purchased Tahoe I got it registered and on Friday got it's first shakedown run which was a success, drove to work today. truck feels very smooth and tight, very happy with it, in it pretty good, $500 for Tahoe with motor that had collapsed lifters, $530 in parts for Suburban motor eg: new gaskets, oil pump, timing chain. I ended up with a decent Tahoe with no rust for just over $1,000. Tahoe appeared to have a recently rebuilt transmission due to an obvious new converter, I am also going to hang onto the transmission from my Z71 Suburban that I swapped motor out of into this which was a GM Goodwrench rebuild as a spare. I am now parting out the Z71 Suburban to recover my cost of swap. only issues now with Tahoe is the air is not blowing cold. when I bought it I was able to run it with bad motor and I charged the air a it blew very cold, but during swap it lost the charge, I ordered freon and leak detector dye. on my Suburban it stopped holding the charge and was rear air line which I did block off plates and it worked fine. hoping same here as I can just use those same block off plates. either way the burb air was cold so I have all and any parts needed, the only other thing is I hate the wheels.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after swapping in motor from my Z71 Suburban that was rusted out into my newly purchased Tahoe I got it registered and on Friday got it's first shakedown run which was a success, drove to work today. truck feels very smooth and tight, very happy with it, in it pretty good, $500 for Tahoe with motor that had collapsed lifters, $530 in parts for Suburban motor eg: new gaskets, oil pump, timing chain. I ended up with a decent Tahoe with no rust for just over $1,000. Tahoe appeared to have a recently rebuilt transmission due to an obvious new converter, I am also going to hang onto the transmission from my Z71 Suburban that I swapped motor out of into this which was a GM Goodwrench rebuild as a spare. I am now parting out the Z71 Suburban to recover my cost of swap. only issues now with Tahoe is the air is not blowing cold. when I bought it I was able to run it with bad motor and I charged the air a it blew very cold, but during swap it lost the charge, I ordered freon and leak detector dye. on my Suburban it stopped holding the charge and was rear air line which I did block off plates and it worked fine. hoping same here as I can just use those same block off plates. either way the burb air was cold so I have all and any parts needed, the only other thing is I hate the wheels.

Good call keeping the spare trans. Don't forget to swap over all those painted trim pieces! :p

OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call keeping the spare trans. Don't forget to swap over all those painted trim pieces! :p
Yeah I have not decided on swapping the painted parts just yet. your referring to grille, bumper filler and door handle trims? my mirrors are kinda rough.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have not decided on swapping the painted parts just yet. your referring to grille, bumper filler and door handle trims? my mirrors are kinda rough.

Yeah- the door handles, front bumper piece, grille and mirror caps. Getting rid of all the black and color-matching those bits just makes it look so much cleaner and more upscale. Finding all the painted parts in a particular color is difficult enough and a lot of people don't worry about it for that fact alone. You have all of the pieces in your color right there at your disposal! On your truck, with how clean the interior is (not to mention that two-tone!), it'd bring the exterior up to the interior's level. The chrome would look ok but color-matched would be cleaner. The chrome mirror caps are much easier to paint since they're not textured. I was gonna paint my chrome mirror caps but my friend wanted chrome on his truck, so I traded mine for his black textured plastic ones. I had to do lots of sanding before I could prime and paint them cuz painted texture plastic looks terrible. It's ok if the chrome is scratched cuz it'll need to be scuffed anyway before painting. Oh- and those headlights from the Suburban would be a nice 5-minute upgrade as well since the Tahoe ones looked to be in worse shape.

OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah- the door handles, front bumper piece, grille and mirror caps. Getting rid of all the black and color-matching those bits just makes it look so much cleaner and more upscale. Finding all the painted parts in a particular color is difficult enough and a lot of people don't worry about it for that fact alone. You have all of the pieces in your color right there at your disposal! On your truck, with how clean the interior is (not to mention that two-tone!), it'd bring the exterior up to the interior's level. The chrome would look ok but color-matched would be cleaner. The chrome mirror caps are much easier to paint since they're not textured. I was gonna paint my chrome mirror caps but my friend wanted chrome on his truck, so I traded mine for his black textured plastic ones. I had to do lots of sanding before I could prime and paint them cuz painted texture plastic looks terrible. It's ok if the chrome is scratched cuz it'll need to be scuffed anyway before painting. Oh- and those headlights from the Suburban would be a nice 5-minute upgrade as well since the Tahoe ones looked to be in worse shape.
yeah your probably right. I guess I'll have to get some touch up spray paint. are the black textured mirrors a removable cap? or do the painted pcs. just glue over top. I used to tow cars with the Burb and always ended up scuffing the painted bumper piece and the passenger mirror on gate post getting trailer back in yard. the passenger mirror on burb. is kinda out of wack. I know what you mean about smoothing out textured plastic. I did injector covers on my Corvette and Hydro dipped them . multiple stage process to get smooth and ready to dip.
IMG_20190405_135806581.jpg IMG_20190424_104046001.jpg IMG_20190424_131527502.jpg IMG_20190424_150526183.jpg IMG_20190424_211842133.jpg IMG_20190424_211842133.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The caps snap on, but you have to pop out the glass to access the tabs. It's actually pretty easy and fast.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The caps snap on, but you have to pop out the glass to access the tabs. It's actually pretty easy and fast.
I just wedged something between the cap and mirror body--pulled down and they popped right off. Held on with tabs and double stick tape. I didn't break the tabs doing that.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wedged something between the cap and mirror body--pulled down and they popped right off. Held on with tabs and double stick tape. I didn't break the tabs doing that.

I guess if you knew where the tabs were so you could press and release them, then there's little chance of breaking stuff. I had a mirror apart recently and, judging by the number of tabs, figured it was safer to pop the glass out and release the tabs from the inside. It's probably like removing the cap and lower half of the NNBS mirror- You find the "Achilles heel" tab, pop it loose and the rest easily falls apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645