Service Stabilitrack + Service brakes soon What could be the issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abdullah_Zahra

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi
I bought a used Suburban a month ago with the "Service Brakes Soon" message on the DIC. Sometimes, out of nowhere, the roadtraction light comes on (no specific speed but mainly above 50mph) The truck had rumbling sounds when steering to the left so I went to the mechanic, told me the axle boots need replacement. Replaced them of course and asked him about what did he do regarding the brakes service message. I think he wasn't sure what was the issue as he diagnosed it with a screening tool but no codes showed up. Told me maybe the brake pressure booster might be going bad.

Note: the brake warning is always on the dash. However, the roadtraction light will go off whenever I shut the engine off and start it later.
No check engine light. I do have the tire pressure sensor light but I doubt this has to do with anything.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I'm assuming that you do not have a quality bi-directional scanner tool. Without access to this tool, you will be firing the parts cannon trying to solve the issue, whereas using the tool will point you to the specific area that is causing your issue.

OP
OP
A

abdullah_Zahra

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I'm assuming that you do not have a quality bi-directional scanner tool. Without access to this tool, you will be firing the parts cannon trying to solve the issue, whereas using the tool will point you to the specific area that is causing your issue.
I surely will be!
This is the very first GM vehicle I have ever owned! I am very confident that there are tons of info from more experienced people I could really use and hopefully, give back to the community as well.
I am going to post pictures very soon, just looking for a suitable background to take them pics here in Dubai.
Regarding the scanner tool, you're right. Mine only does read "P" codes. But when first buying the car, I got it inspected and am going to attach photos of the scan done by then. The scan isn't that old (month or so) and the brake message was there at that time. Maybe it can assist you in any way.

Attachments

• 141d6294-5464-4b07-ba2a-657e66cb9bea.jpg
    141d6294-5464-4b07-ba2a-657e66cb9bea.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 503a169d-55b2-4272-b2aa-f365c8332a35.jpg
    503a169d-55b2-4272-b2aa-f365c8332a35.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 4

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ecbm code for centering might be a steering wheel sensor. tells the computers the steer angle that's need for the traction control stability stuff.

just a guess. hard to know without data

OP
OP
A

abdullah_Zahra

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What kind of Live data would I need for further inspection? I am aware that the steering wheel sensor might be causing the stabilitrak message. But, the stabilitrak message is intermittent ( when turning the engine off and on again it would be gone). So I figured I should work on fixing the brakes message on the dic first since it's not going away. Do you think that the steering sensor is remotely related to the braking system?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I surely will be!
This is the very first GM vehicle I have ever owned! I am very confident that there are tons of info from more experienced people I could really use and hopefully, give back to the community as well.
I am going to post pictures very soon, just looking for a suitable background to take them pics here in Dubai.
Regarding the scanner tool, you're right. Mine only does read "P" codes. But when first buying the car, I got it inspected and am going to attach photos of the scan done by then. The scan isn't that old (month or so) and the brake message was there at that time. Maybe it can assist you in any way.
Welcome to the forum Abdullah from Florida. See if you can sign up for a subscription to the shop manual at AllDataDIY for access to the troubleshooting guide for each of these codes.

The brake/chassis codes are likely due to the EBCM needing to be replaced but the troubleshooting guide ought to be followed to rule out the easy stuff.

All of your tire pressure sensors need changing or new batteries. They're not supposed to be able to be changed but people do.

The brake switch is a common repair item. Takes 5-10 minutes to swap out under the dash.

Do your best to use all GM or ACDelco parts, aftermarket parts do not play nice with the computer system.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Check your front wheel bearings while front wheel(s) off ground. Check for play. Remove tire, spin disc for “the grind” sound.

Verify ABS sensor harnesses while in there. It’s a shady mechanic’s trick to loosen the ABS or o2 harness connectors so they come undone after a few bumps.

OP
OP
A

abdullah_Zahra

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE:
It's been two days now. Haven't had any repairs done to the car yet and FORTUNATELY, the Message disappeared from the DIC and no Stabilitrak light either! I don't know what could've happened here. However, when driving, sometimes the car's radio screen will restart randomly?! everything gets back to normal after a few seconds. I'm starting to think my issue here is electrical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv

Latest posts